Sicily Tour/Private Guide Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by KLA, Oct 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. KLA
    Original Member

KLA Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to be in Sicily for two nights/two full days. I'm considering renting a car, but since it's just going to be a weekend trip and I'll be jetlagged, would prefer to tag along on tours or find an affordable private guide.

I prefer backroads and less popular destinations, staying away from places that are on all the tour company stops. :)

Will be staying on the east coast and hoping to do wine tastings one of the days. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    We enjoyed Sicily, but did so without a tour or private guide. We found it fairly easy to navigate.

Paolo Scuri likes this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    We did a day trip in Palermo from an MSC cruise ship and it was great. You do have to be a little careful in Sicily with crime. It's not as bad as Naples or anything but you can end up in some bad places. It doesn't sound like your going there by cruise ship but check out this blog/podcast http://www.cruizecast.com/messinataormina.html
    also I think Rick Steve's has some info on Sicily.
    If you make it to Palermo try to go by the Capuchin Crypt if you like that sort of stuff. http://www.lifeinitaly.com/tourism/sicily/catacomb.asp

Paolo Scuri likes this.
  4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    We really enjoyed Taormina and, to a slightly lesser degree, Catania. We did not enjoy Messina.

5. eddie044

eddie044 New Member

Status Points:
    we also have been to Sicily on our last Christmas holidays and now we are planning again to visit there,like as all knows sicily is a beautiful city in Italy and various thing are there to discover. we were group of 11 members and we booked our tour package from "Sicily tour Service" they guys are pretty helpful and guided us during our whole stay there. so here is a help for you all. hope it would work and might be a productive for you guys,.,., just open google and type Sicily Tour Service.

then follow the first link to find out more about Sicily travel !! thanks and enjoy Italy !!!

6. Paolo Scuri

Paolo Scuri Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes you have to be careful, as you have to be careful in NY city, but as long as you stay in "touristy" places you don't have to worry.
    Here' s the official link of Sicily region's tourism dept: http://pti.regione.sicilia.it/portal/page/portal/SIT_PORTALE/SIT_EnglishVersion

Here are some pictures http://www.italyguides.it/us/sicily_italy/pictures_of_sicily/sicily_photo_gallery.php

daninstl likes this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    We just returned from Italy having spent four days in Sicily (Oct 9-13th) and also three days in Naples for that matter .. not sure what " crime" in either city some here are referring to (never saw any of it but things like that are usually overblown anyway... the Mafia isn't interested in tourists:)) and I saw absolutely no reason to be any more careful than I would be in New York any other major city.

Two days are really way too short to see the island and I would recommend a tour company and sticking to the east coast. Driving is fine particularly if you have driven in Italy before:)
    Personally I would concentrate on doing a sort of circular trip encompassing Syracuse, Noto, Modica and Ragusa.
    Taormina is reputed to be Sicily's most beautiful town and is a must see including the old Greco-Roman ampi-theatre (Syracuse has a larger one) but its narrow streets can be horribly packed with tourists.

Again if you are into wine tasting then you best go with a tour so that they can set up the visits. Depending on time of years and because Sicily's wineries are family owned you need to call ahead
    and make appointments perhaps combining a trip to Mt Etna which is in proximity to most of the east coast wineries, would work best for you.

Although on the (north) west coast and impractical for your visit we enjoyed visiting Erice (probably even more than Taormina) and the Norman cathedral in Monreale.

daninstl likes this.
  8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    We were lucky enough to visit Taormina during a slow period where it wasn't that crowded. It was quite a special day.

Paolo Scuri likes this.