Shy of Hyatt Diamond - MR worth it?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by jgg630, Jul 29, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am 2 nights shy of Hyatt Diamond challenge and this weekend is it for me. I need to know whether 2 night mattress run for $280 is worth it. I have several domestic stays, 1 in Europe and 2 in Vegas this year.

Is it worth $280.

Thanks

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It very easily can be. Or if you don't get value out of the benefits, then it isn't.

The main easily quantifiable benefits are:
    • 30% more points (or smalled benefit vs plat) plus 1000/500 points per stay.
    • Free breakfast for up to 4
    • 4 confirmable suite upgrades
    Other benefits like upgrades, late check out, etc. you need to put your own value on

Pulling numbers from my butt, 10 stays for 20 nights at full-service properties with average room rate of 150 would net you 10000+150*20*1.5=14500 points. At a value of around 1.7-1.8 cents that's about $250 in points. As long as you would not be paying more to use the benefits than you otherwise would, the other benefits easily turn the scale positive. I left the suite upgrades and breakfast out of the equation as some people may want to only pay with points (thus using the upgrades comes at a cost) or may not care for breakfast, or only sometimes, or stay at a lot of hyatt places. If you're staying regularly it is no contest.

3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    $280.00 for Hyatt Diamond is a bargain. The suite upgrades if used can be worth thousands.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  4. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok thanks

uggboy likes this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The key of course is using them, and having paid stays where they give you that value.

6. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or points+cash stays. In HGP categories 2-6, points+cash can really be the way to go. Those stays earn points on the cash part of the stay, they get diamond welcome amenity points (as do normal award stays), and they are "qualifying" nights toward promotions and requalification for diamond. And <drum roll> they can be upgraded using diamond suite upgrades.

Speaking of points+cash: do points+cash stays count for the challenge? (I think they do.) Could you use them to make your mattress run more affordable? A category 2 hotel would be 4k HGP + $55/night.

Back to "is this worth it": you won't get very much in Vegas. The only real Hyatt property there is a Hyatt Place. It's a fine Hyatt Place, but diamond just gets you the 500 welcome amenity points. If you're in MGM properties, M Life Platinum (the matched tier from HGP Diamond) is likely to be disappointing. More generally, I find the biggest perks from diamond come from full-service hotels. Are your non-Vegas stays likely in full service hotels or HP/HH?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    uggboy likes this.
  7. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:

Yes. You are correct.

uggboy and traveltoomuch like this.
  8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If available, of course. I haven't had a ton of (really any) luck finding the availability for points + cash on the handful of times I've looked.

uggboy, traveltoomuch and viguera like this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been hit and miss for me, and it's the same thing for the suite upgrades. I think the trick is to check early and often, so I end up calling the property and checking to see if rooms are available.

I agree with you though on the perceived value of the status though, and I'm sure other people will chime in the same way. IF you can see that you're going to have the stays in the future, particularly long stays in places where they have nice properties, finishing up the run for $280 is well worth it.

But for some people that's a huge "IF" though... if all your travels take you to places where they don't have full service properties, or you're going to have a ton of 1-2 night stays where you can't maximize the value of the certs, or if you're just not gonna have a lot of Hyatt stays period, then it's going to be a waste of money.

uggboy and traveltoomuch like this.
  10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    @viguera I expect your experience with points + cash hit and miss availability of is pretty typical. In my case, the overwhelming majority of my leisure stays since they were introduced have been at properties where one or more of the following applied:
    1) Paid rate was much more attractive (off-season or shoulder-season ski resorts, vacations over thanksgiving, etc.) - in some cases similar to cash component.
    2) Using up free credit card nights
    3) Took place during the recent discounted redemption period
    4) Don't accept DSUs
    5) Cat 7 with no points+cash and/or no DSU availability

And as far as 1-2 night stays are concerned - at least there you're pulling in a lot of points from the welcome amenity and getting a return that way. If you have a "ton" of stays of any sort, the math probably works out as long as you're not overpaying to be loyal. it's more the "will I have many stays or not" where it would be a waste, unless there is a specific plan and set of benefits in mind.

11. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  12. decipher

decipher New Member

Status Points:
    You could reduce your out of pocket by buying Hyatt gift cards on Ebay or Gift Card Granny. Ebay has $100 cards for $80. It isn't huge, but it is something.

Always Be Flying likes this.
  13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    If you value the suite upgrades, then $280 is absolutely worth it. It's easier to value breakfast and the bonus points but those are tougher to add up to $280 unless you have at least a handful of Hyatt stays coming up.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably not really. The MSRP on the room rates is not really the same as the worth.
    Just like the MSRP on the suites, the breakfast is really only worth that much if you're the type who eats at the hotel all the time.

15. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, the perceived value of a suite is subjective, since you might not think that Hyatt should charge $1200 a night for a "suite" at the Park Hyatt in NYC. Regardless of that though, that is what they want you to pay. If you want to stay there for a week then they will want you to fork over $8400 -- excluding taxes and all the other goodies.

In that case, when a regular room is $725 (which is still outrageous), the potential value of a DSU applied to that reservation would be over $3,300. If you were going to apply 4 DSUs to 4 week-long stays at that property, they would be worth around $13k.

IMO, the cost is what the cost is, regardless of the perceived worth. It's just like any other upgrade instrument... you could argue that an AA seat going from JFK-LHR is not worth $10k in F, but that's what they want you to pay. In that situation, the potential value of an SWU (just like a Diamond suite upgrade) can be worth thousands of dollars.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Only if you're willing to pay it to get that product.

viguera and Always Be Flying like this.
  17. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The choice isn't between paying the going rate or using an upgrade instrument (or points). there's also the option to stay elsewhere, stay in a base room, or stay at home. The example that the cost "is what it is" only puts a maximum on the value you could reasonably give the upgrade. That maximum is only realized if you are legitimately replacing a transaction you would have made in cash.

18. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been in many situations like this and I have found 2 things come out in the wash:

1) The benefits you get from the status gain from the MR usually end up being not all that much better than not getting the extra status and pocketing the cash.
    2) I end up making the decision more based upon whether I think I will requali next year

Generally speaking I have never found massive benefits in hotel programs, although I know they can be had.

19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that's why I said the potential value of the DSU, not the actual value, since there's always the chance that you won't get to use it (and Hyatt won't send you a check :) ) or that you won't want to use for that particular purpose or because your travel plans just won't put you in the vicinity of properties where you can maximize the DSU value, and in that case a whole sack of DSUs will be worth exactly $0.

I know in my case, this year alone I've used two DSUs and have had a staggering amount of free breakfast which -- to me -- put the value of having Diamond status during these stays well above $280, at least by an order of magnitude. If someone asked me to spend another $280 to get guaranteed Diamond status through next year I'd do it in a heartbeat, but that's because of my particular situation and travel plans.

marcwint55 likes this.
  20. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Agree, that's why I said harder to get there on just breakfast. If hotel charges $50 for bkfst, the only way I value it that high is if I'm captive with no other breakfast choices. That's usually not the case so I wouldn't value it at $50 if I can get a decent breakfast close by for $20.

21. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

As someone who stays in suites 95% of the time, I find the upgrades to be quite valuable. Without them I would be paying thousands more for the suites, and since I like to be in suites, I wouldn't have much choice in the matter.

viguera likes this.
  22. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    It really depends on what you will do once you have Hyatt Diamond status

I think it is worth it, but I use Hyatts as one of my primary programs. For you, it really depends on your future spending habits. If you use Hyatt for a couple of stays next year and lose Diamond status, it may not be worth.

As a Diamond, you will get free lounge access or breakfast, with some places up to 4 people. 4 DSU for use, availability based. Those bennies are worth it if you will continually take advantage of them by frequenting Hyatt.

BTW, if you need to maintain status next year and find it hard to do 25 stays or 50 nights, look at the Hyatt Visa card, which gives you 2 stay credits and 5 nights for $20K on the card and additional 3 stays and 5 nights at $40K within a calendar year.

marcwint55 likes this.
  23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup...if you're going to pay for it anyways then the value proposition might be there. I wouldn't so it isn't. :)