Shuttle service coming to the west coast

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Wandering Aramean, Aug 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The LAX-SFO market will be converting from the current 11x daily mix of CR7 & CR9 to hourly service starting at 7am (14x daily) all on E75s and will gain the "Shuttle" designation starting on 3 Sept 13. The change means free in-flight snacks, beer and wine plus dedicated check-in areas and gates closer to the security checkpoints.

Delta is competing against United Airlines (15x daily), American Airlines (6x daily), Virgin America (9x daily) and Southwest Airlines (14x daily), plus many flights from smaller airports in the LA area and to both Oakland and San Jose. And the walk-up fares on the route (~$200) are much lower than those on the east coast (ORD is $320ish, DCA/BOS are $420ish) meaning extracting the higher yields will be a challenge. Many others have tried a similar strategy before and failed. Can Delta make it a win this time around?

Read more:
    http://blog.wandr.me/2013/08/delta-shuttle-los-angeles-san-francisco-hourly/
    http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=2067
    http://thepointsguy.com/2013/08/delta-announces-hourly-west-coast-shuttle-los-angeles-san-francisco/

2. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    So will we see the "Shuttle by Delta" livery now? ;)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  3. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    It might work on this route. I would guess someone has run the numbers multiple times. I think DL will make this work.

4. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting that they are using the term shuttle.

A few thoughts.. their corp discounted one way walk-up fares will likely apply to these markets. And, companies that have negotiated shuttle rates and policies stating you must use DL for the shuttle now can't use UA or WN in these markets.

My company switched to DL as their shuttle provider after the LGA/DCA slot swap and my hunch is the ORD shuttle was a key part.

US was very careful to brand their PHL-BOS service something other than Shuttle (fastrack, if i recall correctly) to avoid making the service eligible for the discounts.

5. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    it's been a month, has anyone experienced this service?

6. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes took it last week from LA to SFO. Newish regional jet with wifi and F seating. F had an interesting organic snack box full of edamame hummus, seeds, veggies, etc. in a compostable box. The anthesis of airline food and small, but good quality. And "local" from CA.

Otherwise typical DL Cxn stuff

KENNECTED likes this.
  7. SunAlsoRisesMSP

SunAlsoRisesMSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    I take it nearly every week on Friday, SFO-LAX. The Embraer is nice, but in my experience there is almost always a delay due to LAX runway traffic (they actually prevent you from even boarding in SFO until there's room for landing).

Good service, unfortunate that LAX is the most poorly run major airport in the world. Also, only one restaraunt in SFO DL terminal....eeehh....

ballardFlyer likes this.