Shower over bath

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by cogentMD, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. One of the things which I really dislike about [not quite luxury] hotels is showers over the bath.

I understand that this saves space, and gives the room both a shower and a bath, but I don't like them. I find showers over baths very uncomfortable to shower in, and sometimes the wayward shower curtians cause the bathroom half to flood.

Does anyone share my pet peeve?

Nicole Blaess-Smith and QSG like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a huge deal, but it is a bit nicer at a luxury hotel to have them apart.

3. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely prefer separate, and would go as far as to say I would prefer to have a nice shower and no bath than some cheap combo unit...

4. Agreed

5. philcape
    Original Member

philcape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree the combo doesn't cut it.

Often with older hotels they have had to fit in bathrooms as best they could. That means that even in large rooms or suites they have to use some nook that will only fit the bath/shower combo. I also prefer a nice shower to the combo (though I know many who would differ). Some properties that offer a choice of one or the other which suits me. But could lead to marital strife when preferences differ! :eek:

But for new bulids there is no excuse - bath and large, separate shower!

6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I have to choose- then my vote is for a great shower. In cities such as London or New York I can understand this- but when even a 4* hotel chooses for shower only when there is obviously space for a bath- then I get a bit annoyed. Also- if there is going to be a bathtub- make sure it is deep enough to be useful.

Four Seasons Seattle has gorgeous bathtubs.

Four Seasons Vancouver- the combo is terrible.

7. tomv
    Original Member

tomv Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely prefer a stand alone shower over a combo. It is one of the criteria I use when choosing a hotel. Nothing better than a great shower!

8. Delta Gazillion Miler
    Original Member

Delta Gazillion Miler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too would prefer a shower in a hotel versus a bath. Plus I can't really imagine taking a bath in a hotel room and can't remember the last time I ever did. If I ever did. And I've spent thousands of nights in hotel rooms over the years.

+1 for stand-alone showers. [​IMG]

jetsetboy likes this.
  9. sleepyintheair
    Original Member

sleepyintheair Silver Member

Status Points:
    Concur with the growing consensus - given the choice, separate shower all the way. If I want to soak in a hotel I'll go look for a jacuzzi.

The only combo that I don't mind is the "euro-style", where the edge of the tub isn't straight across but is curved to make it feel more like a stand alone shower.

10. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not consider a hotel to be a true five star if they have the shower over the bath.
    It is just a space and cost cutting measure.
    Sorry to change the topic but it is the same with the elevators they should in my opinion have a separate one for luggage, room service etc. if they want to call themselves five star.

11. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the very least they should offer both IMHO! I hate those shower curtains and can never trust them to be perfectly mold free!

12. IMO, luxury properties should have separate shower and bath. Both should be nicely sized. However, I'd rather have just a shower, rather than the combo, if given the choice.

One of my favorites was one in Oregon which had a separate shower & tub; the tub was a claw-foot and it added a special touch since it was something different from the usual.

13. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Separate is always best, but I really could care less about the tub unless it is a jacuzzi. If its not, then I can't fit in it and enjoy it anyway.

14. Flyer_Esq
    Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely prefer them separate, and if there is not enough room, I prefer just a shower.

15. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think a luxury hotel has to have them seperate -- big pet peeve with St Regis Princeville's junior suites when they did the hard goods upgrade should have redid the bathroom. Not an option but a requirement in my book.

16. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    They still sport the Sheraton bathrooms....[​IMG]

17. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many of the rooms in the Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten (I stayed there again last night) have a very large walk-in shower occupying the floor space where a large bathtub would be. It is one of the largest showers I can recall seeing in a hotel actually.

18. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, no, no! I love a bath---and am very dismayed at the trend toward removing a bath and replacing it with only a shower. I recently turned down a suite a the Hyatt Regency San Francisco (which is nicer than the Grand these days) ---I quickly made my way back to the front desk and asked for a room change after seeing that they had removed the tub from the bathroom and turned it into a walk in shower.The desk agent told me that women seem to really want a tub in their bathrooms.

The budget chains in the US have done that, claiming their "business" travelers" prefer it---but when pressed, managers I've asked have admitted that most women hate the change, and the men don't comment at all.

19. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Princess Fiona Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes and no, traveling alone I would agree with you, with young kids it's a different story. It is very difficult and dangerous to try to shower a slippery babe. I guess hotels, even luxury ones have to try to cater for all

20. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reading this thread makes me wonder if everyone here has a separate bath and shower at home. I do in the master bedroom but most homes don't.

21. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I think, if pressed, many men with female traveling companions would agree that life is better when the Mrs gets a bathtub! I, too, have turned down "better" rooms to downgrade to a tub. And, while on the topic, what is it about "upgrading" to an accessible room? I believe it is great to have such rooms, but do not find cavernous bathrooms with special fittings to be an upgrade, and it always makes me think about the poor person who might check in who really needs it, and can't have it because I am in a room with a four-foot square shower and no tub.

22. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate baths. Haven't taken one in years. Why would you want to soak in your own filth? :eek: Of course, I'm a guy and like to be in and out and on with the day. Men are simple creatures. However, I have met some examples of Man v2.0 (so-called "wo-men") and realize they are very different. Always amazing me with their counterintuitive ideas. They also get very angry when you point out they are wrong.

I would definitely prefer a stand-alone shower if it meant I didn't have to risk slipping as I get in and out. Probably a lot easier to clean, too. Maybe the nicer hotels could just throw in a free spa session to people who complain about the lack of a tub? It would probably be cheaper over the long run.

23. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Totally different thing. You'd have to go to the spa, take the treatment, and then change and go back to your room. With a bathtub, you can take a long hot soak and then call it a day. Spa treatments are great, but they are not the same as having a tub.

24. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi JSpira- I have a very large shower in my master bathroom- and no tub. I have no way to put one in given the space and how it can be used (my house is quite old- originally built in c.1400)- so when I am at a luxury hotel one real bonus for me can be a bath once in a while!

25. If I were traveling with small children, I'm sure I'd havea completely different opinion of the standalone shower only vs a shower/tub combo (not meaning standalone shower plus a separate bath tub). You're right in that they do have to try to meet a variety needs and sadly, properties can't be all things to all people.

Separate in our master bath.