Shower at Schiphol airport

Discussion in 'Europe' started by dc3, Apr 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have experience or comments on available showers at Schiphol airport upon early morning arrival?

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Free showers are available in the toilets near the BA lounge. You need to bring your own toiletries and towels.

There is the hotel Mercure: http://www.mercure.com/gb/hotel-1730-mercure-schiphol-terminal/index.shtml
    Shower in a private cabin (with soap, shampoo and towel provided) for €12,50. Located upstairs (Top Level) in Departures Lounge 3.

There are also two KLM Crown Lounges at Schiphol with showers.

Horse likes this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is also a Yotel in the non-Schengen area - you can rent a cabin for 4 hours - includes towel, soap, bed, etc.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The KLM lounge showers (multiple in each of their lounges, one schengen and one nonschengen) are pleasant and stylish but not luxurious like the SQ TPR showers in T3 at SIN. They provide basic towels and toiletries, acceptable but not fancy.

To use the KLM lounge showers, ask the dragon when you enter the lounge; sometimes there is a waiting list. When they give you the key to the (cleaned after every person) unisex private shower room (beware, no toilet inside, but there is a sink, mirror, and hairdryer), the dragon keeps your boarding pass until you return the key.

sobore likes this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have the regulations changed- or do you still need to be a Flying Blue Platinum to use the shower? It used to be that flying in business was not enough- you could enter the lounge- but not use the shower.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a NW PE, then DL PM and charter DM flying in WBC/BE TATL I've never had an issue when I asked to use the shower. (Maybe the dragon decided that I really needed that shower?) However, I think KLM customers get some free computer use in their lounges that we don't, as well as help from the agents for the Flying Blue program, although there too I've succeeded in having them change my seat on intra-EU connections on KLM. YMMV?

7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    NW PE customers used to be considered = FB. DL I am not sure. Free computer use? I don't know. Getting them to change seats on itnra-EU connections? You are super lucky!

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've also been told to go to the gate when I wanted to either change seats or change to an earlier flight.

However, the most important lounge help in AMS that I can remember occurred just after KLM tried their ill-fated (of course, they should have known) alliance with Alitalia. I had an onward connection on AZ, I think to Sardinia through MXP, and no one in MSP or AMS could check me in for these flights which were first NW and then KLM codeshares on my NW TATL WBC ticket. Finally, when I explained my frustration in asking at several KLM service desks in AMS, a dragon made several phone calls and then gave me some sort of a gate pass to get through immigration to schengen in order to get the boarding pass at one magical service desk located on the lower level of the far wing (A or B?) of the airport. At that desk, the sole person in an Alitalia uniform picked up the telephone, called somewhere in Italy to get my seat assignment, had a long discussion/argument in Italian, and then wrote out my boarding pass by hand on their official-looking boarding pass stock. It worked and I made the flights. Some colleagues with a slightly earlier connection through FCO missed their flights because three hours was not enough time to find the boarding pass in AMS that day. It took me close to four hours to straighten out the problem.