Show us your favorite aircraft, commercial, your own, other...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jbcarioca, Apr 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have threads for birds, cars and lots of things but not one for favorite airplanes. This should solve that problem. My favorite was the first one I ever owned myself. The photo was taken at BDR the day I took delivery, and that is a tow hook in my hand. She was a Socata Turbo Trinidad TB-21:
    N54TW.jpg

bakedpatato and MSPeconomist like this.
  2. MadameConcorde
    Original Member

MadameConcorde Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Goodness, this place needs some poasts so here's a bump!
    I'm not one to like socalist labor but I love the A330, especially in HA colors!
    [​IMG]
    (This is going to be HA's 5th A332, beautiful sunset shot of it taking off from TLS)
    Can't go wrong with the B717 in HA colors either :)
    [​IMG]

Big fan of the 777 too!
    [​IMG]

First plane I learned how to fly was obviously this guy (I'm spoiled...G1000 ;):p)
    [​IMG]
    I've also certified for this lovely thoroughbred ;)
    [​IMG]

MSPeconomist and jbcarioca like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is beautiful, but I admit I'm partial to the A330.
    Another beautiful plane, although not quite as big.

bakedpatato likes this.
  5. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear our Red likes A330s too as US flies them...but I hear he likes the HA A330 the most(and the 767 and the 717)...must be all the thoughts of S.H.A.G :p
    Seats 4...while the A330 seats many magnitudes more people :) Plus it's built in good ol Wichita.
    And you don't have to have the TSA touch your junk when you fly in this guy! And no change fees, no baggage fees and you're on your own schedule :) No lounges though. :(

6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The CE510 actually seats six when you think that it is almost always pilot-owned, so the pilot and front passenger seat count too. I prefer the CE525. Mrs. jb and I flew ours across the Atlantic a couple times and to lots of other places. N525GG at UAK.jpg

MSPeconomist likes this.
  7. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    True. We're not talking about the CE750 here ;)(on that note the resign is shaping up to be awesome in terms of the G5000 and the interior but I was surprised at the...err...disappointing performance. Then again, its not even a B737NG-esque program)
    Having gone ADK to Russia in the Mustang....I have to say it was very very very uncomfortable. Even Norcal-Socal and vv can be a pain. However, I like the G1000 ;)
    And c'mon, the CE510 is a VLJ...can't expect great things from it!
    That is a nice shot of a classic on that note :D I know some CitationJet owners and they wouldn't give their jets up for nothing short of a CVII.
    The CE525(and its derivatives) have nice and cozy cabins, but the Phenom 300 is shaping up to be a contender...we'll see eh? :)

8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a fan of the Phenom 100. It's a far better aircraft then was the CJ. My CJ was much mor expensive to maintain that had been the Lear 25 I had before it; I switched just to be single pilot. Were i still flying, which I am not, it would be a Phenom 100 with no question.

9. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah,I'm rooting for Embrcer. The only problem with Embracers for Americans is their support network...not too big of a problem for you i bet? ;)

jbcarioca and MSPeconomist like this.
  10. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Here's My Favorite:

616_1265901675.jpg 616_1265901687.jpg

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cholula and jbcarioca like this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not heard of any support problems for them anywhere. Are there some?

14. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    There aren't too many support centers/infrastructure: TOA's an all Cessna shop and I don't know where I would get a Embraer serviced....

15. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    XB-70 Valkyrie

Attached Files:

16. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Love the delta wing...pity it had no purpose :(

17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of the most beautiful ones either had no purpose or a purpose only for war. Sad, but that is the way it has been. There are so many examples, but still this one, derived from a failed fighter, remains the pilot pleaser for GA pilots IME anyway. This one is a 25D. One very cold January night at about midnight I made a short flight in it from BKL (sadly departed airport) to BMI. There were my copilot and I and about 90 minutes fuel on board, nothing else. From the BKL tower handoff I was cleared to 41,000 feet. My copilot and I glanced at each other and he began the timing. From rotation to level-off was six minutes fifty seconds. That's is no record but it felt like a rocket. It does not look like a Valkyrie and passengers don't like it much, but it is as close to a rocket as a GA pilot can get, I think. The model best for that is probably the 23, with the same engines but much lighter, but those were gone before I began to fly Lears, most of them crashed IIRC. The 20-series, and 35-36 were equipped with more wing options than one can easily count, all trying to correct the handling and stall peculiarities of the original one. All the ones I ever flew (various models of 24, 25, 31, 35, 36) were slightly different one from another and the early ones had controls and instruments in different positions too. Some early commercial jets, like the DeHavilland Comet, the 707 and the DC-8, seemed to have similar lack of consistency between seemingly identical aircraft. That made for exciting piloting but the world is better for all the standardization of recent years. From a personal perspective I switched from this Lear to the airplane in post #6 so i could fly single pilot. Even in flight training the one on past #6 with simulated emergencies was easier to fly than was this one in normal flight. Still, this is the one I remember more fondly. N800RF and Gina low.jpg

18. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the USAF flies one of the most elegant fleets in the world....from the Spirit to the Raptor to the Stratofortress to the B1...
    And I took at look at Embracer's support network and I would have to base a Phenom in either VNY or LAX, VNY is too far from PV and I hate going to LAX cause of traffic :D

19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    So base it at TOA. When I was there TOA sold no jet fuel but I took the CJ there every week and a couple friends had CE500's there. The A/C needs to be quiet but the weight limit allows almost any GA aircraft at 30,000 pounds per wheel.The hangar situation is not easy, but is usually solvable. Barring that there is always SMO or LGB. I did base two aircraft at VNY and hated the arduous arrangements needed for that.

MSPeconomist likes this.