Show and Tell: Where did you go in 2011?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by NYCUA1K, Jan 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like that line in the movie "Apocalypse Now" where the Robert Duvall character says "I love the smell of napalm in the morning", nothing thrills me more than the smell of a new city in the morning, especially if it took me a long time to get there. In order to relive my travel experiences and fully appreciate where I had been every year, I began a couple of year ago to plot my itineraries on a world map. The map also shows me how much travel I had to do to requalify my 1K status. I just thought it would be kind of cool for folks, who come here because they also "love the smell of a new city in the morning", to share their 2011 itinerary on a world map.

To get this started, I am attaching my 2011 travel map on which the red dots indicate the cities that I traveled to in 2011, some of them (e.g. Beijing) more than once. I did my best to show each itinerary with connecting lines but those are just approximate. Lastly, for the past couple of years, I have been redeeming airline miles and hotel (HHonors) points to visit several cities in Asia during the year end holiday season (Dec - Jan). The dashed green lines show the itinerary for my 2011 year end Asian escapade. I flew into (UA895) and out (UA896) of HKG, and then redeemed on *A carriers (CA, SQ) to get to Shanghai (via Beijing), Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and back, while redeeming my HHonors points to stay at these great properties: Conrad Hong Kong, Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund (there on XMas Day), Conrad Millenium Singapore (there on New Year Day), DoubleTree Kuala Lumpur by Hilton, and Hilton Singapore.

While all the travel was a great deal of fun, I also just had as much fun making the map of my 2011 intineraries. I think that you too would have fun making yours, and then please share it! NYCUA1K-2011-1K-Travel.png
    NYCUA1K-2011-1K-Travel.png
    click thumbnail to see full version.

2. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK-HNL-FUK :rolleyes:

uggboy, rwoman, canucklehead and 2 others like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy, kiwi, rwoman and 6 others like this.
  4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm more interested in how you made that map ... much cleaner than one from GCMap!

uggboy, rwoman, canucklehead and 5 others like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

6. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    +2

uggboy, rwoman, canucklehead and 3 others like this.
  7. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you read this outloud, it seems like you really, really dislike Honolulu!

8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, really nice looking map. Mine is primarily domestic business travel. Plan to fit in a bit more leisure travel this year.
    [​IMG]
    Map generated by the Great Circle Mapper - copyright © Karl L. Swartz.

uggboy, rwoman, canucklehead and 3 others like this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    DEN, SIN, DPS, SIN, HKG, NRT, PVG, HMD, PVG, LGA/JFK, DEN/COS, ITH, LGA, NYC, MUC, ORD, Montreal, DEN, SIN, LAX, PHX not in order

This is the least time I've spent in Europe during the last 35 years!

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool, I was not aware of that thread where I think I would have done very well guessing. Since you would not be posting any pictures of airports here, and having traveled to 8% of the countries in the world, I think that you would be giving your friends a hell of a guessing game, in which they would have to guess the correct airport by the process of elimination :D...

I just downloaded an interactive map that was posted a while back at UA.com and CO.com, when they were showing the routes that the merged airline would fly, and then I just added my itinerary digitally (i.e. with my own digits, also known as fingers :D) in M$ PowerPoint. I'll be happy to post the "naked" map is you are interested...

Cool map too. Yeah, it seems that with all your travel, you should have enough RDMs at year end to venture into the TPAC region, where the service industry is still truly honorable (you get the service that you pay for they are not happy). BTW, I cannot tell from your map where you "home base" is. Where do you travel out of?

I am suspecting that there were probably very few trips to the African continent, which, by the way, has great *A airlines in Ethopian and South African Airways.

11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do have the RDMs available, but finding the time can be a challenge, especially with my wife having changed employers recently. Something TPAC is on the short list for the second half of next year, and if not then likely soon after.

The first half of this year brings travel to RUN and MRU, near but not quite on the African continent. But first, more domestic hopping about.

uggboy, rwoman and canucklehead like this.
  12. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, please!

My travel in 2011 wasn't as much as I would have wanted ... but 2012 is looking up with 50,000 flight miles already planned for personal trips.

2011:
    [​IMG]

There's a lot of overlap on several routes that I took several times but only inputted once. All of my travel is non-work related (I count trips for interviews personal, especially if I'm paying)

13. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    My travel year was not that varied, but quite nice because I spent more time traveling to places I love instead of places I had to go because of work. This map, of course, doesn't show the thousands of miles driven on top of these flights. I drove all over the PNW, all the way up to Canada, down to FL and all over the Southeast.

Also, I only show routes like ATL to BOS and ATL to SEA once but I've done both many, many times. I probably flew to Boston 10+ times last year. 52K miles going back and forth (with a side trip to Europe)

[​IMG]

uggboy, jbcarioca, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do come join us. I have just posted one of an airport i visited numerous times in 2011. I am generally a pushover, in that few of my airports take long to guess. It is a very fun game.

NYCUA1K, uggboy, rwoman and 1 other person like this.
  15. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are some overlaps, but as expected- less travel this year. Partially because I reduced, partially because of delta.com (long stories...), partially because of the world political climate (Cairo is out), but still. What I just noticed is that I also ran out of luck with West Coast travels... a year without them (!?!?) I think maybe a flight is missing, but that's more or less than deal, some overlapping routes including (i.e. JFK-CDG, JFK-AMS) 2011.jpg

uggboy, jbcarioca, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  16. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm just waiting to see how many itineraries to WAW via Canada show up among the Delta folk.

NYCUA1K, uggboy, jbcarioca and 3 others like this.
  17. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My 2011 was nearly all leisure, which counts me as super lucky of most people here. The only work leg on the map is BKK-SIN-BKK.

I didn't include ground segments so its a bit broken up. One of the world and then one zoomed into SEA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

45,000 BIS miles last year. Very few were earn able though :(

Either redemption, I screwed something up, or 3rd World LCC flights.

18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wondered why such a relatively low BIS count, then I noted that most of your flights were in SEA, and down under and only a couple of TPACs (SFO and ORD). The SEA trips do not earn huge BIS and my recent HKG to ORD netted about 16K BIS.

I wound up with around 110K BIS/EQM without COS by doing 2.5 TPACs, one TATL, 2xHawaii from USA east coast (10K BIS each) and one MR to EZE (~12k BIS). I had 3 TCONs (~5+K BIS each), as well. Putting it that way makes it seem like I traveled quite a bit to requal my 1K!

19. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I meant my butt was in a literal seat for 45000 miles. Both TPAC's were in XY so no miles there and the TATL (if you want to call BOS-PDL TATL) was on S4 which earned me no miles, I opened a TAP account to send the miles too, but never got them fixed. OOL-KUL was on D7, and most of the SEA legs were on AK/FD/K6/QV which I got nothing from. Only earned on a few VN Domestic flights and 3K/JQ SIN->AKL->CNS.

On a side note, I flew turbo prop segments on the Flag Carriers of 3 third world countries, and had wonderful service and smiles ;)

And on a different side not, K6's website is back up, though you can not book through it : http://www.cambodiaangkorair.com/en/home.aspx and you can now fly REP->KOS.

20. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also noticed we stayed in three of the same hotels for your Christmas jaunt. I greatly enjoyed the SIN Hilton and the KUL DoubleTree, the Conrad somewhat less so.

21. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    NYCUA1K, what tool did you use to create that map?. It looks nice.

22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Conrad Millenium Singapore is nicer looking and newer than the Hilton Singapore, but a bit remote from where the "action" is. It was my first stay there and it was fun because I was there on New Year's eve, and the property had organized a party for the guests, with dancing, countdown and a drop of balloons at midnight, followed by fireworks on the Harbor, which is nearby. That was fun but I missed the livelier surrounding of Hilton SIN (especially, the "SINful" Orchard Tower right across the street), so after I returned from KUL, I stayed at Hilton SIN rather going back to the Conrad, which has a better "reputation" around the city... I do remember your report on KUL Double Tree -- great property.
    Thanks! As I wrote earlier, I just downloaded an interactive map that was posted a while back at UA.com and CO.com, when they were showing the routes that the merged airline would fly, and then I just added my itineraries digitally (i.e. with my own digits, also known as fingers :D) in M$ PowerPoint.

uggboy, jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

I did 217,781 BIS miles in 2011. :D

Click the map for more of the gory details.

sagefemme52, NYCUA1K, uggboy and 6 others like this.
  24. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine is next month...although due to schedule changes, it's direct between JFK and AMS now. ;)

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  25. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    My record BIS is around 130,000 [stand corrected, ~140 give or take about 600 miles] and I must say--

Better you than I...hope you've enjoyed it! :D