Shouldn't we have two threads similar to FT - One just for announcing deals found

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by EndlosLuft, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. EndlosLuft
    Original Member

EndlosLuft Silver Member

Status Points:
    Proposal:
    one thread for discussion.
    one thread only to announce deals found

Otherwise the discussions get in the way of finding the deals.

2. Bobofoosh
    Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

Status Points:
    As someone looking for deals more than discussion I agree with this. I like seeing the deal as a topic without any clutter.

3. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds a good idea!

4. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree sounds like a good deal, I'd like to see one tread or sub forum that is similar to the "Mileage Run Deals" forum on FT. It seems that most of the deals would be lost in this format because they're not bumped frequently enough.

5. Alpha Golf
    Original Member

Alpha Golf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree too. Would be nice to have something that could be scanned quickly for departure city -- specially if you do multiple alliances.

Globaliser likes this.
  6. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Separate forums for Mileage Run Deals and Mileage Run Discussion -- each containing threads with quickly scannable subject lines -- are needed.

One thing to ponder is how to structure (or label) them so as to avoid the perennial FT problem of clueless people cluttering the Deals forum with general musings (or worse, "I need XXX miles by Dec. 31" requests). "Current Fares," perhaps?

Sean likes this.
  7. EndlosLuft
    Original Member

EndlosLuft Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe we can have a sticky post that says something like "NO DISCUSSION THREADS -- POST DEALS ONLY"

8. YVR Traveller

YVR Traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why make it redundant? I think one thread is best.

9. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

the_happiness_store Silver Member

Status Points:
    No two threads is better. One with the details and when the deal is over another where a more detailed discussion occurs. Sometimes the discussion obfuscates the deal.

Bye the way is the SFO-MIA deal still available on UA?

Brit likes this.
  10. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree.;

Need one thread that is purely for posting deals.

Another thread that can be used for general discussion.

11. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even in the IHG Hotels forum, who has this clearly delineated, mods are always chiding folks and then having to put posts where they belong -- so perhaps this is one thread where "just the facts"-type data, with rigid fields in which to post, might come in handy. Have you seen the way that the person who does the part of the SPG forum having to do with impromptu meetups does it on FT, where you put check-in date / check-out date / hotel, city / your handle. That way, he/she can cut & paste and integrate them into a master post at the top. This might be a thread which would benefit from such an organization. Discussions in a separate thread would be the way to go, IMO.

12. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two threads is less messy, even if a moderator needs to intervene and move posts. MP is looking like it won't scale well to large traffic, better clean this up while in beta!

Tenmoc and chollie like this.
  13. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    you need criteria too as to what is a true deal as someone might want to say x cpm (eqm) max vs people posting $X but its a great fare for this route even at 7 cpm

Tenmoc likes this.
  14. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I'm sure that a 'format' can be suggested, so all the relevant info. is posted consistently!

15. travel.flier
    Original Member

travel.flier Active Member

Status Points:
    definitely 2 threads forums - some people don't want to spend time in discussion.

and when posting deals, definitely request basic info in the title: airline, price, dates, routes, CPM (most important!)

Tenmoc and chollie like this.
  16. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would also opt for the 2 threads...

17. chollie
    Original Member

chollie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps we could come up with a slate of proposed mileage/deal forum/subforums and vote on which way to go. There are folks who have suggested something similar to the current FT setup (forums for deals, discussions, good fares, 'super'-mnistake fares, premium fares, deals by alliance, etc). I personally am already really missing the FT 'Fare Gone' label in this forum - and I like the idea of moving 'Fare Gone' threads to a different forum. I've seen (and participated in) discussions about great deals/mistake fares that continued for months after the fare was gone.

[​IMG] Maybe we should start a new thread with our comprehensive proposals? It might be more productive than individually posting (as I just did!) particular details about how we'd like fares/deals/discussions broken out.

18. chollie
    Original Member

chollie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree on the need/benefit of a standard deal-reporting format. Don't know about dates - I'm a klutz when it comes to deciphering fare rules anyway, plus there are situations like the recent DL fare mistake where the dates seemed to vary by destination. Certainly it's useful to provide dates if applicable, and definitely great to provide sample dates or booking engine (frequently asked questions: 'what dates'? 'where are you seeing this?') in the body of the text.

19. chollie
    Original Member

chollie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly! I see it as our chance to get in the ground floor and contribute to shaping the forum from the start, instead of trying to retroactively sort things out. We (and MP, which is 'us') can really benefit by our experience on FT.

20. EndlosLuft
    Original Member

EndlosLuft Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had some time to sketch a one-pager that shows how this would be more useful. Discussion Forums are a good compliment but not the best way to help people find these types of deals.

Please view the sketch here:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...ystem-its-not-just-about-the-discussion.3397/

I've tried to consider a couple of different scenarios. Some people are:
    - looking for the lowest price
    - looking for the most amount of miles
    - looking for long distance inexpensive fares that are upgradable (like United 1Ks with SWUs)

Happy to see you guys all seem to have the same "itch" as I do :)

Best,

EndlosLuft

21. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps, but only if we have a tool like tags where when someone posts a fare, it can be tagged with "Deal", so that someone who doesn't care for the discussion can quickly sort the wheat from the chaff. I don't want to scroll through pages of posts for a fare that doesn't interest me.

AtomicGardener likes this.