Should you be liable for baggage fees on partner airlines?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by hulagrrl210, Mar 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For example I book a ticket to Hawaii on United. The return trip includes an inter-island leg on Hawaiian airlines. They charge me for bags. As a United elite, I am exempt from baggage fees. The ticket was a United ticket with a United flight number and I am a United customer. Is this fair? Wondering what your thoughts are, not specifically on this case, but in general.

2. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am against baggage fees period! When people travel, they should be able to bring some belongings. And baggage fees are causing people to bring more and more stuff on board, causing Y to be even more miserable. Each ticket should include one checked bag on every carrier.

In your specific case, I thought if you have a direct connection to/from UA on Hawaiian, you would not be charged for bags.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think if your first flight is Hawaiian then you will get charged the fee. If you go UA first and then transfer to Hawaiian, then you are not charged the fee. At least that is my understanding.

4. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was this a code-share? (Did the HA flight also have UA flight numbers)?

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  5. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes it was code-share, and the HA flight had a UA number.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope...the rule is that the policies of the initial carrier with which you interact apply. So if flying in coach OGG-HNL and then First HNL-Mainland you are still hit with the HA rules on that first segment. Is it "right" to do things this way? Maybe or maybe not. I could go either way there. But I definitely think it is the smartest approach for the airlines to pursue. Why? Because it means that it will at least have a chance of being applied consistently.

The baggage rules are complicated. Elite status, class of service, flight routes and your profession can all affect the rules in terms of what the baggage allowances are on any given carrier. With all that in play it is hard enough for an agent to keep track of their own company's rules much less those of the scores of partner airlines that the ticket might be issued by or where the customer has status or where they are connecting to. It would be nice, but there's almost no chance of that working out well.

7. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good post, and good to know.

8. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, discouraging that on a UA flight number that UA rules don't apply. But I guess similarly on a UA codeshare on LU metal one can't use UA certs to upgrade.