Should we be taking TripAdvisor's advice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, May 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Should we be taking TripAdvisor's advice? ||

Fascinating, do you trust TA?

marcwint55, jwsky, TravelBear and 2 others like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any venue of user information exchange can be manipulated and compromised, even including <gasp> this one. Sometimes it's possible to tell an honest opinion from a "sponsored" one. I find it especially useful when people leave detailed descriptions, facts, and photos on TripAdvisor, so I can form my own opinion.

Fredrik, marcwint55, jwsky and 4 others like this.
  3. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I utilize TA as a tool to help make decisions and agree that some posts seem very fake. If a hotel has a large number of posts I try to look at overall percentage and when the negative posts occurred. If there are to few to make a call I will likely overlook it. I know of a great independent hotel in Costa Rica that I have stayed at a few times that is beyond perfect for a small 2 star hotel. One negative post about this place is that they were expecting a 5 star place based on TAs rating even though it is clear from this hotels website they are not a 5 star hotel. One thing I look at too is was there a response from management and how sincere or canned it seems.

LETTERBOY, marcwint55, jwsky and 2 others like this.
  4. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have found some very nice mid range and budget hotels with the help of Trip Advisor. Maybe, I have just been lucky so far. I make my choice after reading the comments, not just by their star rankings. The comments give me a feel for the kind of hotel it is.

5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We use TA very frequently for information on destinations we are going to. We usually choose hotels affiliated with our elite status, but information on activities has been very helpful.

We have also found some fantastic tour guides on TA, and we read the reviews thoroughly. I have seen many bad reviews that when fully read are nothing more than someone expecting much more than a reasonable person would expect.

MX, uggboy and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I write on Trip Advisor (not religiously, but when I have something to say) and I find it to be a very useful website. It's fairly easy to weed out fake opinions simply by looking at how many reviews the questionable reviewer has posted.

MX and uggboy like this.
  7. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I post on TA and when using for research I look at manager replies and the number of reviews that users have to see if they are frequent or just one offs. I always laugh at the reviews that say "they supplied hair dryer" and "love the hotel, they gave free popcorn"
    I've found great private guides and tours from TA

uggboy likes this.
  8. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its one source of data - I would not use it as my only source. I also look at other reviews by people to see if its the only review or if they contribute often.

Fredrik and uggboy like this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    What happens when the contributor has stayed in a hotel, writes a review on TA and it was the contributors very first review / contribution to TA, does this mean he / she is wrong or a liar, just because it was the contributors very first true TA review and her / his account doesn't show more contributions yet?

Flying Bat likes this.
  10. Fredrik
    Original Member

Fredrik Silver Member

Status Points:
    That contributor's credit rating isn't very good. Yet. It doesn't mean that it's not reliable but it means you'd have to more careful.

That said. I think it's pretty obvious which reviews are fake and I mostly look at the photos.

MX likes this.
  11. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    @uggboy - You make a good point. My overall problem with TA is the anonymity with reviews. There is no way to know if a reviewer is providing honest information or just being a troll. Number of reviews do help to gauge a reviewer.

There is room in the market for a new service that verifies members.

uggboy likes this.
  12. weevinweaver

weevinweaver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use TA a lot. I use it to find a good restaurant I have never been to. If I am on a business trip I use TA and Zagat to make sure it will be a good place to wine and dine clients.

Although, one time I stayed at a crappy hotel in Breckenridge, CO and when I got back home I wrote a negative review. I put stuff in there like I didn't feel safe, it was dirty, and horrible customer service (which was completely true). The owners of the hotel somehow were able to get it removed. I emailed TA to find out how and why this was possible for them to remove negative reviews, but never got a response back, and never followed up.

uggboy likes this.
  13. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some time yes some time depends on situation because they use a stander situation which should suits on max peoples life so. We should mind that tips also and use our mind.

uggboy likes this.