Should United have charged me?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by michael21, May 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A weeks ago I bought two economy tickets for 30,000 to Venice...a few days later I realized I had enough points for business class so I called to make the switch and was charged $150 bucks PER ticket! Why?? What happened???

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have status? Was the flight less than 21 days out? United will charge you a fee if you are a General Member,Silver, or Gold making a change inside 21 days.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    harvson3 and Flyer1976 like this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the OP got hit with two separate $75 fees making it $150 each ticket possibly? That would be quite ridiculous.

harvson3 likes this.
  5. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I realized that I changed the date by one day so is it possible I got charged 75 for switching cabins and 75 for changing dates per ticket?

If so that was just really stupid on my part for not knowing all the rules and regulations.

6. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How long until the trip? Changing departure/arrival dates more than 21 days out should not incur a fee.

Changing cabins incurs a fee, as does changing the airline for any leg. Are you on the same carriers?

I did not know that these were separate fees.

Call United and ask them to explain the fees.

7. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i called again (was on hold for 55 minutes) looking for the initial miles that were never redeposited into my account and they said well they need to charge me $150/ticket i.e 300 for me to get my own points back (personally I think that is insane). I told them I already paid it and once confirmed they released my points....but still charged me the $300.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you canceled one ticket and booked another then it is $150/ticket. If you change the cabin on a ticket you already have booked it is $75/ticket.

harvson3 likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The phone agent you called should have done the changes you wanted in the cheapest way possible, which sounds like changing the tickets rather than cancelling them completely and redepositing the miles for you.

10. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    The chart says that a cabin change = $75 and that a date change < 21 days prior to departure = $75. If both applied, could they have charged him $75 for each transaction?

Although, given the OP's most recent post ("i called again (was on hold for 55 minutes) looking for the initial miles that were never redeposited into my account"), it does sound like he cancelled and rebooked.

11. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does cabin change on one leg of the ticket incur a fee (more than 21 days out)? Same flight same carrier.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Per the current set of rules, yes.

lichenlt likes this.
  13. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bummer, but I couldn't find anything with regard to this in their T&C. There's only mention of changing from economy to business on the entire itinerary.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If any one segment gets moved up to the higher cabin then you have to reissue the award and the other segments are "voluntary downgrades" to the lower cabin.

15. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't understand how other segments get "downgraded" to the lower cabin since they were originally booked in Biz. The only change is the segment that's upgraded from the economy to Biz. And the miles originally paid were for Biz.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, you didn't mention that all the other segments were already in Biz. :p

If the award is originally issued as a biz award and there is one segment booked in coach then switching that segments should not incur a fee, I don't think, as they aren't reissuing the award. They might try to anyways, but I'd remind them that you were issued in C and that segment was voluntarily downgraded at the time of booking so they should be able to fix that for free.

desamo likes this.
  17. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    My bad for not being clear. Now I'm more comfortable booking it and wait for the seat in Biz to open up. thanks Wandering Aramean!

Wandering Aramean likes this.