Should tourists still visit Egypt?

Discussion in 'Africa' started by uggboy, Jul 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Should tourists still visit Egypt? ||

It's truly a case on where to go, I presume Sharm El Sheikh would be a destination which is shielded for now from the power struggles taking place in the capital, while Cairo feels the heat, as people want a better future for their country. Overall, I would say go and visit, this depends where and when people want to visit, of course caution should be taken 24/7 especially while visiting Cairo.

sobore likes this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would stay away. Egypt is too hot for me at this time.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you go, please sign up for emergency US Marine evacuation insurance, so us taxpayers don't have to foot the bill for your Osprey ride out of the chaos.

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2013/...-go-to-egypt-to-protect-u-s-embassy-citizens/

uggboy likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe in Sharm El Sheikh is much chaos, it was reported that tourist life goes on there as "normal". I guess, as normal as it can be. It's more about Cairo right now, here the Arab Spring goes well into the Arabian summer.

We have been a few years ago to Sharm El Sheikh, this was only 3 weeks after a suicide bombing rocked the resort and destroyed hotels, many victims, yet, we had decided at the time to go ahead, glad we did, we had two great weeks at the Hyatt Regency Resort. It's important not to be too scared to travel, of course when it gets too hot, that's another matter. Security has to come first at all times.

5. travel4art

travel4art Active Member

Status Points:
    I'd love to go see all the historical art but way too nervous to go there...

6. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    i have been to Egypt a half dozen times over the past couple years on business trips mixed with some tourism :eek:

personally I would be more concerned about food poisoning there than any random act of terror, it is one of the dirtiest places I have ever visited including India and China

on my recent visits have traveled throughout Cairo, drove up to Alexandria, hung out in Luxor for a week, was in Sharm for 5 days and lived to tell the tale

the history and sights are incredible but if I never visit again, no problemo

7. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    As of 2015, yes. Do visit Egypt.

I was there a few months ago; and the tourism industry in Egypt is significantly hurting; and that actually can translate into great deals — especially on lodging.

Not once did I feel unsafe due to terrorism or civil unrest. In fact, I was treated rather well.

The biggest problem — if you want to call it a problem — is probably successfully avoiding the touts at tourist attractions.

8. hamzuzi

hamzuzi New Member

Status Points:
    Hurghada would be the best option at the moment. Very cheap offers, flights can be sorted from uk with Thomson and easy jet. From Germany lots of flights with airberlin or condor etc... Even from Vienna or Budapest very cheap.

9. hamzuzi

hamzuzi New Member

Status Points:
    Best offers in hurghada is in golden rose hotel near papas beach new marina