Should Pets Fly on Jets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Newscience, Nov 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    An important topic for pet owners who fly, and be sure to read the article and watch the video at:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/dispa...e-travel-pets-dog-cats-fly-on-planes/3705725/

Should Pets Fly on Jets?

Candyce H. Stapen, USA TODAY 8:04 a.m. EST November 26, 2013

Millions of people travel over the holidays to visit relatives and friends. But if you must board a plane to see grandma or your best buddy, should your dog or cat come along?
    Only if your four-pawed family member can fly with you in the cabin, according to the Humane Society of the United States, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and many other pet-friendly organizations. That's because transporting animals in the cargo hold is difficult on the animal and sometimes deadly...

Read the entire article and watch the video at:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/dispa...e-travel-pets-dog-cats-fly-on-planes/3705725/

2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Thanks. I made a decision a long time ago to listen to the ASPCA and not fly with my two shih-tzu's. While they could be cabin dogs, I'm not comfortable with the stress they are likely to incur. I do however have plans to take them along on a trip to SFO and take Amtrak and have them along on the rail journey out west.

Loved the video which reminded me how great Newfies are.

Newscience likes this.
  3. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Service dogs yes!

However, as an asthmatic, I would like the airlines to be a bit more proactive in alerting flyers that an animal will be on the plane. If they know a dog is being brought on, they should email those on that flight and make an announcement prior to boarding.

I'm allergic to cat dander and if I was on a plane with a person who brought a cat on board, I could potential die. If I know this information in advance, I then have options.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    Newscience likes this.
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Interesting point which I had not really thought of earlier. Now that you mention it I actually know more people allergic to cats/dogs than are allergic to peanuts.

Newscience and KENNECTED like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow - I'm allergic to cat dander - it feels like I'm exposed to itchy fiberglass - and it seems that every cat I meet knows that and rubs up against me! :p

But, that is only a sensitivity allergy, and I was unaware that persons could have a severe enough allergy to cat dander to be concerned about life-threatening complications. I suspect that is quite rare.

This WebMD article states that ~10% of the population has pet allergies, and twice as many people are allergic to cats than to dogs: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/cat-allergies

Although cats are allowed to be transported on many airlines, I've only seen dogs on flights! ;)

6. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pets are not allowed on Amtrak, only service animals.

I brought my cat with me as a cabin pet on Alaska when I moved from California to Washington. He actually seemed to quite enjoy it.

Newscience likes this.
  7. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I had no idea, thanks for the info. All this time i had this plan to get to SFO via Amtrak with the boys. No Plan B. You just saved me a lot of angst later on. Again thanks.

Newscience likes this.