Should Newstand be renamed "Boarding Area"? or should BA get its own Forum and not post in Newstand?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by craz, Mar 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems that almost every thread is started by BA so should the Forum be renamed or maybe BA should get its own Forum and Newstand be a forum for everyone else to post in?

whats your thoughts

2. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have to agree that 'Newsstand' should be for news. I understand wanting to provide BA a place to provide content to MP, and also realize that the links to BA must be great for SEO, but the posts simply clutter this forum. I come here to see news. A lot of the threads here are not news. Having a separate BA forum, not necessarily in ConcourseZ ... but somewhere similar, would be a great change.

MilePoint is in it's infancy...and I know that the team will review forums and placement in time. I think this would be a great place to start.

3. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been posting news in Newstand but do wonder if they get lost a bit. However, if the story relates to something in particular I post it in the respective forum.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    As someone who arguably benefits from the additional exposure that the links here offer I still agree that this is basically too much for keeping a reasonable flow of discussion. Just too many 'threads' being opened on a daily basis.

5. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dont want BA to be in any way limited in what they post or the amount they can, only if they had their own Fourm I feel I can get better usage out of Newstand sort of like the Sunday NYTimes those sections that dont interest me go right in the box, which cant be done with those papers that are basically 1 section and thusly having to go thru everything till I find what interests me

With Newstand as it is usually pg 1 is all BA so that might have people withhold posting anything or even replying to a thread that wasnt started by BA and as time goes by the same ends up being for pg 2-3-4-5.. so a person really has to click thru many pages to get to threads other then BAs

6. chrislacey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    While it might take a bit more work...I'd be happy to see BA post relevant posts to the particular forum to which they apply. I imagine there's a way that it automatically posts now, and if that's the way that it has to happen...then I'm still in favor of a separate BA forum, but if BA writers could choose which MP forum to post in, it certainly would be more helpful for MP members. Lots of great content comes from BA...and putting it in the right area in MP would certainly be beneficial for both MP members and BA writers.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that the content is fed into the forum from an RSS feed. I know that WordPress (the service behind BA) has some flexibility in terms of putting together feeds based on categories so I'm guessing that it wouldn't be too hard to have "Trip Reports" posts go to that forum and "News" posts be here, based on the author appropriately tagging the post. It would certainly require come coordination on the part of the authors to be included in one of the appropriate feeds but that doesn't seem too unreasonable to ask of them (us?!) to get the additional exposure of having the content syndicated this way. Of course, this does open the risk of cross-posting and such if the tags are abused (what if I tag a post as News, UA and NH because it is about the ATI/codeshare agreement??) but I'm sure that can be dealt with, too.

But I think the main point is that if there is a single repository that is just a flood of traffic from the blogs there is a good chance it will actually get less real reading traffic, not more, because people will find the content to be too scattered rather than topical to their interests and they'll eventually ignore the forum because of that. I know that I have chosen that path to a large extent here.

I've mentioned this thread over in the Feedback forum. Hopefully it gets some traction there. http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/too-much-news-and-not-enough-news-in-newsstand.6665/

8. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    HaHa. It's all too confusing for this senior citizen; so I tend not to read any of it.:p

Funtodoimpossible and doc like this.
  9. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well.. IDK..
    IMHO, in this case, as always, all the info/content/whatever on MP could be most easily/best posted in the airline/hotel specific fora to which it applies..
    And the collective, more general stuff left for General Travel, or whatever..
    I'm really not sure why there's a 'Newstand' per se..
    As I recall, perhaps wrongfully, it was originally created on TOBB/FT to get all of one maniacal persistent posters into a specific forum/graveyard, where those who did not like 'em, could simply ignore them..
    & it actually didn't work there either.. so...
    Again, what do I know? If I may answer, "nothing' ! :)

Funtodoimpossible likes this.
  10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not have sub-forums under Newsstand, one for BA and one for user contributions?

11. chrislacey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A sub-forum would definitely be helpful, but I'd still say that a lot of BA posts are just plain not news. A separate forum would be an easy way to solve the problem. Adding content to specific forums to which they apply is the best solution, IMHO. I use Wordpress quite a bit, and tagging posts should be a pretty easy way to allow auto-posting to MP by BA into a specific forum. If authors are not tagging their posts, they won't show up at all.

12. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think this would be a good solution.

For BA reads one has to do three clicks: one to get to the post, one in the post to get to BA, and another one on BA to read the rest of the story. I rarely do that because it takes too much time. It would be nice once one got to the BA to be able to read the whole article.

Funtodoimpossible, doc and Horse like this.
  13. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea of separating out user-posted news and BA blog "news", which might or might not be actual news (as opposed to trip reports, random experiences, etc). I wonder if it's possible to feed stuff to this forum based on the tags, e.g., only feeding stuff tagged as "news" or something. Of course, this would require all BA bloggers to use certain tags a certain way. If that works, you could feed posts with the "trip report" tag into the Trip Reports forum, and so on for a set number of categories. All others (or even all, even those fed into other forums?) would default to the BA blog forum.

14. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would be excellent. :cool:

Funtodoimpossible, doc and chrislacey like this.
  15. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Blog posts should be moved to a separate forum, or just make it known that newsstand is for blog postings, while the other areas are for actual discussion of news. I would even go as far as renaming newsstand Blogosphere.

Funtodoimpossible likes this.
  16. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But don't we still need a Newstand for other posts if there is no other place to post a story?

17. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just one other observation is how remarkably quickly threads can get pushed down to the second page due to the volume of posts coming in from the BA bloggers. I do like the BA feeds as there are only about 5 I regularly follow, but it can be overwhelming when looking for actual news.

18. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA is nice and a lot of it is newsworthy but I think it should be segregated from MP generated content. Right now, it seems to scroll way to fast to generate any type of discussion on an individual article.

doc, lin821 and AmericanGirl like this.
  19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    So.. did something change with the Newstand? I'm seeing almost no new threads from the robot-feeds.

20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nevermind. :)

doc likes this.