Should my wife and I combine accounts?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by bsdstone, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bsdstone
    Original Member

bsdstone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I should know this, but somehow I don't...[​IMG]

Here's the situation:
    -My wife just took a job where she will be traveling internationally, 1 week of every month. About 40% of the time, she'll be staying at Starwoods properties...no hotel hopping, basically just check in and stay 3-4 nights...so in theory, it will be ~20 nights.
    -I'm currently platinum, and have been for 10 years now (Yay for me!). I can make platinum on my own, but it's getting tougher, usually qualify with ~27-30 stays.
    -We'll never be traveling at the same time, so both of us staying at an SPG property simultaneously won't happen.

So, should/can I just add her to my account and we accumulate points/status together? Or does she need to have her own account? If she does, can we combine points to redeem?

Much thanks for the help/advice...

2. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    No you can't combine for status, sorry. Yes, you can combine to redeem provided the address on both accounts is the same.

3. bsdstone
    Original Member

bsdstone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.
    I think it makes sense to have her open her own account...any referral bonuses out there?

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you could do as the OP proposed, two individuals could benefit from one qualification for status, in this case SPG Plat. This wouldn't seem fair to the rest of us who must earn status on their own.

5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    And by having two accounts, you both can qualify for certain bonuses that come along. For example, last year's bonus to get a 25%-off award or a few thousand bonus points after 1 - 5 stays (the number of required stays varied per member) was limited to only one bonus per account.

She should at least do something to arrange for Preferred Plus or Gold status. (AAA membership is one of several ways to qualify. Simply asking nicely might be another way.)

Kaanapali likes this.
  6. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are several referral bonuses out there. If you are interested I know some people on here who would be happy to help (I have already referred one person and I rather other people I know have a chance to refer and get bonus points as well) :)

And SC Flier is absolutely right.....for all the reasons stated...and because you could always transfer points between accounts as needed in this instance :)

7. tigerwong
    Original Member

tigerwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I have also had the conversation of "joining forces". In my experience YMMV regarding her "sharing" you platinum status and helping to accumulate stays. There have been times when my wife was able to check in before I got off work with no questions asked and received all the appropriate amenities of status. But other times FD has asked that I reach out to them when I arrive. So now when I know I will not be staying we've determined it is best for her to establish her own account. We have found it convenient for long stays to have two accounts to rotate between when checking in and out for stays [​IMG]. Far more convenient than hotel jumping.

gummibear likes this.
  8. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slightly off-topic, but points related...

If you already own the Starwood Amex card, you'll receive 10,000 bonus *points for every new card approval you make until March 11, 2011.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I can refer you since I'm a Business card member. This may or may not have been targeted. I received a postcard.

You'll get 25,000 bonus Starpoints and pay no fee the first year. I get 10,000 points for the referral.

Contact me and I'll add your name to my referral list. I need your name and e mail.

SC Flier likes this.
  9. bsdstone
    Original Member

bsdstone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately I already have the SPG Amex card and added my wife a few years back for 5K.

I'll have to open her own SPG account today...

10. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are referral bonuses for referring someone to SPG? Care to point some of them out?

Kaanapali likes this.
  11. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/starwood-spg-amex.2030/#post-27202 First post

And also a couple posts above yours Dhammer also indicated a willingness to refer as a business SPG Amex cardholder (full disclosure - I also have this card and can refer as well).

12. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    But the poster wasn't asking about the SPG Amex.

13. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    For just joining SPG by itself I am not aware of any referrals (or bonuses for the person joining). But it would make sense for someone who was going to join to consider getting the SPG Amex card not just for the points, but to keep the account active.