Should I upgrade to the Platinum Delta Skymiles Credit Card?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by jt58203, Apr 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jt58203

jt58203 Active Member

Status Points:
    I currently hold the Gold Delta Skymiles American Express card. I recently received an email from AE inviting me to upgrade to the Platinum Delta Skymiles card. It said I’d get 15,000 bonus miles after my first purchase (also 5,000 MQM--which I don't think that matters much to me). Annual fee is $150 but in another couple of months I would be paying the $95 annual fee for my existing card.

I currently fly 1-2 times a year sometimes with hubby so the AF pays for our luggage and we enjoy zone 2 boarding. 15,000 for $55 sounds good to me and a year from now I can ask to be downgraded back to gold, right? I may end up keeping the platinum card if I can make use of the annual companion ticket in L, U, or T class. This sounds like a no brainer, but just wanting some other opinions. Thanks!

YULtide likes this.
  2. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    My Mother received the same offer. She wants to do it - but we are concerned that the companion ticket clock would rest and she would have to wait another year.

3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would take the upgrade and then downgrade again the next year, as you may get the same upgrade offer a second time. This happened to a good friend of mine and he got the bonus miles twice.