Should I upgrade from Silver to Gold

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by nestep, Feb 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. nestep

nestep Active Member

Status Points:
    Need some feedback/advice all.... I'm Silver right now, I'm flying a more this year and by end of the year I should be Platinum. I received the invite to buy up to Gold last night. It will cost about $1500. I have a few international flights upcoming and upgrades would be nice. Do you think its worth the money to get gold now?

I'm new to the site but love what I'm learning. Thanks in advance to you all...

WilliamQ and 8MiHi like this.
  2. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what international routes you are flying.
    First:
    If the route has "BusinessFirst" cabin ..then, the upgrades are not free. You will have to pay with miles+$$ or use some of certificate such as a GPU (systemwide upgrade).
    Perhaps you already know about BF cabin, upgrades, certificates, etc.

Second - The value of buying up to gold if you are primarily flying international is that you get lounge access as Star Gold during your international trips (even if ticketed in economy class). How useful will the lounge access be for you? Only you can decide. (e.g., it would be nice to have lounge access in Europe during a long trip such as USA-Europe-MiddleEast. ....can get a shower in between the two flights, etc).

Gold gets you more RDM's compared to silver; and a slightly better chance at upgrades on domestic routes.

again, you are the best person who can make this decision to spend that extra $$$

WilliamQ and rookie10 like this.
  3. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do a spreadsheet of your flights then add up what these are worth to you:
    Same day change, three bags (vs 1) free, International lounge access, an extra 25% RDM bonus and E+ at reservation (plus a companion). These are the most worthwhile advantages of Gold over Silver since you are still in the #2 Boarding Group.
    Don't count any potential CPUs because they may not happen at Gold when you would like them to. As Gold in 2012 I had 20% CPU experience, 0% on flights over 3.5 hours.
    $1500 may actually be a fair price, but it may not be a bargain.

rookie10 likes this.
  4. nestep

nestep Active Member

Status Points:
    Awesome, thanks guys.

8MiHi likes this.
  5. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Per the Upgrades section in the Premier Benefits section of the website, there are 4 regions eligible for CPU:
    US Domestic (except PS flights)
    North America including the Caribbean and Central America
    Some Hawaii
    Oceania
    All others require upgrades that cost you something.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    rookie10 likes this.
  6. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do I get this offer? I just dropped from Gold to Silver and I would gladly pay 1500 to move back up.

WilliamQ likes this.
  7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sure it's invitation only.

8MiHi likes this.
  8. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes and I think they only send out the invitations after they are reasonably sure that the account is in order for 2014. PMCO used to invite me to buy up in early March. So Phorever may yet see such an invitation.

nestep likes this.
  9. nestep

nestep Active Member

Status Points:
    Phorever, mind if I ask why? It might help me make the choice....Thanks man.

8MiHi likes this.
  10. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'm hopeful

11. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sure...

I earn status based on segments, and end up booking a lot of later flights (7PM or later) in case my meetings run late. When my meetings are done, I like using the free same day change to move it earlier. I probably do this 15+ times per year.

Economy plus seats at booking. Economy plus is like the economy minus of yesteryear... Economy minus these days is like being asked to sit in the back of a police car... Quite uncomfortable.

Three 70 pound bags checked. I travel a lot with golf clubs, and when I bring my wife anywhere for a few days, we may as well hire movers for all of the crap she brings with her.

Sandy, flyforawg and 8MiHi like this.
  12. nestep

nestep Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Yeah I know the feeling about bags and wives. I have seen the 2nd Marine Division travel with less crap than my wife.

I like the idea about same day changes as well. I'm in the same boat as you with that, not quite 15 times a year but I bet about 10...

Garp74 and 8MiHi like this.
  13. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    A Global E+ subscription is $699 for you only. A Global Luggage subscription is $799 for two standard bags, but includes up to 8 companions on the same PNR. Same day change is $75.
    If you would be considering the subscriptions for Global E+ and luggage, then $1500 is a bargain since you get E+ at reservation for your spouse as well as 3 70 pound bags rather than 2 'standard' (assume 50 pound) bags in addition to the SDC, higher status for CPUs and more bonus miles. If you only need domestic subscriptions and generally travel by yourself, the answer is not as obvious.

nestep likes this.
  14. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    It sort of depends on when and how you will be naturally hitting Gold this year. I don't disagree with the above comments, but if you plan to hit Gold quickly and domestically, that might change the value you'll receive. If your international trips are soon, you weigh more than 110 pounds and plan to carry more than a toothbrush, pair of shorts, tank top and flip flops, the E+ and extra bags make it a no-brainer, IMHO.

8MiHi and nestep like this.
  15. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    One extra benefit not mentioned. MP Gold gets complimentary Marriott Gold, which is a pretty darn good benefit.

16. nestep

nestep Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes it is, I'm already Marriott Platinum though. I like the program Marriott has.

17. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    In years past, before I made, and kept, 1K, I would get the "invitation" by mid-January. As my wife was 1K for years before, I never took UA up on the offer. Will be interesting to see how 2014 shakes out, as we might have trouble making 1K. Time will tell.

Hunt