Should I transfer SPG points to US Airways Dividend Miles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by cotter77, May 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    current transfer promo ends may 31 i think
    i am sitting on 50k+ SPG points
    just got my usair CC with 35k bonus
    not planning on traveling anytime soon on USair
    or any travel or hotel anytime soon
    should i build up my USair bank for next winter weekend getaways?

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well keep in mind that the bonus on the promo is variable based on whether you have status too, but even if not that would be 50k, plus 10k from Starwood for transferring 20k twice, valued at 1:1 plus 50%. So overall 90k miles?

Even if you are not planning on flying US any time soon, you can still look at other carriers in the alliance. Maybe one of them would be of use in the future?

If not I would say hang on to the SPG points. Once they are converted you can pretty much rest assured they are not leaving that program, so you might wanna hang on to them just in case another carrier more attractive to you -- or even Starwood -- has another promo later on.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    The other thing to think about is 'ease of use'. I always find it difficult using airline miles for saver awards (availability), however redeeming hotel points is usually fairly easy.

4. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i think i will not take the transfer
    I have tons of MR points and chase UR points (which only go to CO and BA and CO is ending this year)
    so i tend to gear my points towards CO/UA or prepare to consolidate a dumpage onto my 100k of BA from that visa promo.
    as far as USair, i did get this card solely for this transfer promo hoping on building a stash, but given I would probably need enough miles for 2 tix (wife) i might as well stick with my original UA/CO stash building. i can save my 35k USair for an emergency award flight when i really need it

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that CO/UA and US miles can be used for award tickets on any Star Alliance carriers, while BA points give you award tickets on oneworld alliance carriers. In principle, you could travel together on *A with one ticket from US miles and the other from CO/UA miles (although not on the same PNR).

SPG points are flexible so I think it's better to keep them in that program. If history is any indication, there will be later promos. Don't transfer them unless a clear use is planned.

6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you mention if you were elite?

7. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    no status whatsoever

8. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotcha. Either way, if you were to transfer, I'd say transfer 40k rather than 50k. 40k will give you 2x5000 bonus from starwood (so US will see a 50k point transfer) and then add 50% to that. That'll give you 75k + 35k you already have which could give you two off peak europe business class tickets on US if you can find it (see http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/usemiles/awardchart.html at the bottom of the page less 5k miles for each ticket for being a card member). With US, you never know how good their promotions will be, but the trend is increasing towards requirements to get the most out of one (i.e. credit card holder 50% off, one time only share, this promo etc.) I'd say transfer in now.

9. marathon man
    Original Member

marathon man Silver Member

Status Points:
    hmmm I have a bunch of US Air I will never use. Any way to give me your SPG and me give you my US Air? Seriously