Should I take this trip? (Snow related)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Garp74, Feb 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

  1. Garp74

    Garp74 Gold Member

    Messages:
    2,328
    Likes Received:
    9,614
    Status Points:
    7,525
    I leave early tomorrow morning (Wednesday) for a quick trip from IAD<->SEA.

    I am scheduled to leave SEA at 9am the next day to return to IAD.

    But here's the complication:

    [​IMG]

    I'm scheduled to land at 3pm Thursday, which would be a little bit after the snow has ended.

    Thoughts? Am I likely going to get cancelled/significantly delayed?

    I've lived here 17 years and don't recall flying into this type of weather, so I just don't know what happens at IAD when it snows.
     
  2. vickers

    vickers Gold Member

    Messages:
    1,421
    Likes Received:
    2,111
    Status Points:
    1,225
    Odds are you are going to be delayed or cancelled. That corridor is already jammed up. When it snows, its a domino effect.
     
    Garp74 likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

    Wandering Aramean Gold Member

    Messages:
    28,216
    Likes Received:
    61,746
    Status Points:
    20,020
    My guess is that the return doesn't happen in a reasonable manner. Your choice as to how much you want to worry about that. Also, are you sure you have a 9am SEA departure arriving IAD at 3pm? That's pretty much impossible.
     
    iolaire likes this.
  4. vickers

    vickers Gold Member

    Messages:
    1,421
    Likes Received:
    2,111
    Status Points:
    1,225
    Traveling for business or a mileage run?
     
  5. flynow

    flynow Silver Member

    Messages:
    147
    Likes Received:
    170
    Status Points:
    360
    Would wait and see how the weather is when it gets closer . Keep calling the airlines for the updates!!
     
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

    iolaire Gold Member

    Messages:
    3,510
    Likes Received:
    5,767
    Status Points:
    4,170
    Please look at the airline website and keep the lines clear for everyone dealing with flight issues. I'd only do the flight if you want to stay in the DC area for a day or days.
     
  7. Garp74

    Garp74 Gold Member

    Messages:
    2,328
    Likes Received:
    9,614
    Status Points:
    7,525
    8:04 departure from SEA returning 3:50pm. I would have checked tomorrow night. Not my usual flight so ...

    Business travel.

    Want to get home to my family and not be snowed out of getting home. Being delayed is probably ok, I just don't want to wind up in Cleveland or something and cancelled.
     
  8. flynow

    flynow Silver Member

    Messages:
    147
    Likes Received:
    170
    Status Points:
    360
    Here's an update on the weather on Wednesday image.jpg
     
  9. iolaire
    Original Member

    iolaire Gold Member

    Messages:
    3,510
    Likes Received:
    5,767
    Status Points:
    4,170
    If its not critical I'd wait a week.

    I'm flying DCA - JFK -> onward to SIN on Friday for fun and am crossing my fingers hoping all will be well, but I could see it going very good or very bad... If I had flexibility I would consider going early or later, but I'm fixed on schedule these days and need to go or cancel that segment of my trip.
     
  10. flynow

    flynow Silver Member

    Messages:
    147
    Likes Received:
    170
    Status Points:
    360
    image.jpg Weather in Seattle for Thursday image.jpg
     
  11. Garp74

    Garp74 Gold Member

    Messages:
    2,328
    Likes Received:
    9,614
    Status Points:
    7,525
    Current forecast for a 3:50 landing at IAD on Thursday is very bad.

    image.jpg
     
  12. Garp74

    Garp74 Gold Member

    Messages:
    2,328
    Likes Received:
    9,614
    Status Points:
    7,525
    Looks like I made the right call not to go:

    Untitled.png
     
    miles and smiles likes this.

Share This Page