Should I switch from UA's MP to another *A program?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Braindead, Oct 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Braindead

Braindead Active Member

Status Points:
    I have flown 500K miles lifetime on UA. Their prices have been very steep the past couple of years. I have pretty much switched most of my domestic flights to Southwest Airlines out of SFO/SJC with about 10 domestic trips each year. I fly SFO-HKG 2 to 3 times a year on Singapore Airlines (cheaper than UA) and once or twice a year SFO-NRT on UA. Will be moving to SEA area early next year. I did enjoy the domestic upgrades on UA before I switched, but not sure if I can justify the prices (especially on international upgradeable fares) or continue on to 1M miles for the lifetime 2P. I also like the *A international baggage allowances and lounge access. Any ideas on what I should do?

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well, United flies SEA-NRT. Hard to argue that you should switch, There's no HKG non-stop from SEA. Might as well connect through SFO and stay with Star Alliance.

I guess the relevant question here is what's important to you?

If you can't justify UA upgradable fares then perhaps you could give the mileage to Oneworld, earn Executive Platinum with American, but you'll be connecting to Tokyo and double-connecting to Hong Kong (provided you want to fly AA transpacific to upgrade).

Delta flies SEA-NRT but their upgradable fares are even more expensive..

3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you considered AS? Recently had my mom's Diamond (*G) status matched with MVPG. They have a mix of partner airlines so that's always nice especially with CX and QF being in the mix.

mikeschu likes this.
  4. Braindead

Braindead Active Member

Status Points:
    Any thoughts on switching to Singapore's Krisflyer program? At least I would be able to upgrade once in a while. I know they have lots of rules too.

I think if I started throwing my miles into Oneworld, I might be flying more on CX than AA for the transpacific routes. The USA airlines are way behind the rest of the world in service.

5. I have also been pondering dropping out of MP. My home airport is Raleigh-Durham (RDU) and I make 6 RT flight from RDU to either PEK or PVG as well as one or two to Europe. Right now I have 300K miles in MP and am 1K. UA has been less than good to me. I do not want to start over again with another mileage program unless I can start off with equal status. I once tried doing this but was told to pound sand. Any suggestions? Thanks.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a general rule, you will not get a status match or challenge within the same alliance.

Outside of *A, you could do DL RDU-DTW-PVG, usually IME on the 777 with flat beds in BE and AVOD throughout and connect through either NRT or SEA for PEK, which from RDU would mean going throu ATL, many flights, or JFK, DTW, MSP, etc. For Europe, connecting through ATL would give you lots of choices, or you could use other DL hubs through AMS, CDG, or to LHR, again with flat beds.

DL is likely to give you a challenge for free to PM.

7. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it really depends on what you value in your mileage program for your trips. If you want to fly on an Asian carrier, then I would encourage ow, and connect in ORD to get on CX. If you wanted upgrades for the route, then credit to CX, and you should still get mileage for your AA segment. DL is mainly for if you want to fly on one airline, however their miles are more expensive to redeem, and the upgradable fares are extremely expensive. AA is going to be extremely aggressive in trying to win over UA flyers (all of the AA executives I talked to at the launch party last weekend were wanting to pick our brains on what would it take for us to switch).

8. Thanks for the reply. AA must have had a change of mind since it was AA that told me that I had to start over at the beginning. Are they now desperate? Unfortunately UA has the best connections, choices and routes to China so alas I may be stuck with them no matter how shabbily one gets treated.

9. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, they do not offer straight up status matches, but they do offer challenges. You just have to get an agent who is familiar with who you need to be directed to when you call in. Look here for more information.

10. Thank you again for the information and the link. I have looked at the link and I suspect it would be easier completing a 1040 form. It was extremely discouraging along with the added insult of $$$ upfront. Do airlines all take a course entitled "alienation of customers 101?"

11. MrLincoln

MrLincoln Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta will challenge you based on your other-carrier status. 1k matches to dl pm with a challenge of 26k miles in 90 days. Google for medallion status match to get the dl page on it.

Remember that dl ups only work on y/b/m fares. Far cry from ua swus. But it also means the J cabin can be pretty empty and/or confirmable.