Should I move to Miles and More?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by OzMan, May 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. OzMan

OzMan Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm UA 1P and fly about 50k+ miles a year mostly to Europe (in Y, out of a NY airport) but I also usually make a round trip to Australia each year. My domestic travel is at most one or two transcons each year. All is leisure travel.

Would I be better off joining Miles and More? I much prefer to fly Swiss or Lufthansa to Europe and that would seem to give me much better upgrade chances using miles. I realize that I'd be giving up *A G status and E+ domestically but I could live without those things if that meant flying TATL in J more often.

If I were to start flying using a M&M FF account would I be able to use my UA *A G status for lounge access until it expired? I'll earn it again this year (in a few weeks) and so would have it through Jan 2014 in any case.

rwoman and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If by "it" you mean UA*G and that you are just a few weeks away from earning it again, then it seems that you can keep the UA membership and just also join M&M. You get the best of both worlds because then you will be UA*G until 2014 to be able to reap the *G benefits while flying M&M carriers to get whatever attracts you about them...

rwoman and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do you plan on upgrading?

It is generally harder to get SEN on M&M than it is to get Gold in MP. And you'd still need to redeem a whole bunch of miles to upgrade to biz on the LH/LX flights.

rwoman, Lufthansa Flyer and snod08 like this.
  4. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes...they now call it "Miles and Less" for a reason

rwoman, Lufthansa Flyer and Jimgotkp like this.
  5. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    M&M is a decent program if you fly paid J and F, but horrible for Y traveler lots of discount fares only earn 50% mileage.

rwoman, Lufthansa Flyer and Jimgotkp like this.
  6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think I would recommend MM based on you travel habits. You need to hit 100k to get SEN and LH is not very charitable in giving away upgrades, even to their elites. Another minor issue is that MM sen's only get 25% bonus miles.

rwoman and Wandering Aramean like this.