Should I keep my Chase Amazon.com Visa?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by healinginfluence, Aug 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. healinginfluence

healinginfluence Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a new forum member, I read up and have recently received two Chase credit cards: The Chase Sapphire and the Hyatt Visa. I already had the United Mileage Plus Explorer card which I plan to keep along with the Sapphire and Hyatt cards.

I also have an old Chase Amazon.com Visa that pays 3% for purchases at Amazon.com. I am wondering if I should keep the card. Three percent is pretty good but I am thinking with Sapphire combined with my airmiles I may be able to do better by trading points for B-class tickets. I could close the Amazon Visa and ask Chase to move the credit over to another card. It would be one less card to maintain.

Also, I was wondering if there is any reason to use the Chase Hyatt Visa for anything other than purchases at Hyatt hotels.

I should mention that I also have the SPG Amex. Finally, I have the Cap One Venture card which I am considering closing once I use up all my points. I don't see any reason to pay the $59 annual fee for that card.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

marcwint55 and harvson3 like this.
  2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You wouldn't necessarily get anything from closing this card, and keeping it open (assuming you don't pay an annual fee) helps age your accounts and lower your utilization ratio, which helps your credit score.

There's no need to transfer the CL over to another card unless you want to increase your monthly spending on the second card without paying mid-statement-cycle. You can offer to close the Amazon card if you apply for a new Chase card and get initially turned down. Keep the card as a bargaining chip for future use, if necessary.

Non-Hyatt spending on the Hyatt card isn't really worth it, given that UR points from your CSP transfer to Hyatt, come with a 7% annual bonus, and the CSP has more bonus categories. Keeping the card just so that you can get the free category 1 to cat. 4 free night for the annual fee, plus free internet on Hyatt stays may be worthwhile.

MX, edekba and healinginfluence like this.
  3. healinginfluence

Status Points:
    Thank you for that very helpful response. The Amazon card doesn't have an annual fee so I will just keep it. And I will just use the Hyatt card when I stay at Hyatts. The card has motivated me to stay at Hyatt hotels. There are some beautiful ones out there I didn't know about til I got the card.

4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you stay at Hyatt frequently, you may also want to check into the Amex Gold Premier Rewards card. They recently had 75k membership rewards signing bonus and you get a 3% rebate on all Hyatt stays charged to the card in addition to membership rewards points per dollar spent. They usually waive the first year fee, so you can try it and if it is not beneficial cancel after the first year.

5. healinginfluence

Status Points:
    Thanks for recommending the Amex card. I will keep it in mind. I just got 3 new cards so I want to give it a rest for a while.

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. healinginfluence

Status Points:
    After posting my question, I have been wondering if I ever would have a reason to charge even Hyatt purchases on the Chase Hyatt card. I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) which I understand pays 3 points per dollar for travel purchases including hotel rooms. And at the end of the year CSP awards a 7% bonus. So wouldn't I always be better off charging purchases to the CSP over the Hyatt? The Hyatt card's value is for the free nights and free internet. Do I have to charge my stay to the card to get the free nights or the free internet?

This can become a hobby rather quickly :rolleyes:

harvson3 and free67spirit like this.
  7. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The CSP only earns 2 points per dollar spent on hotels (effectively 2.14% with bonuses). Going thru the Ultimate Rewards mall could get you upwards of 3 (using an online travel agent like Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline), but using an OTA usually makes your stay invalid for points from your hotel stay itself.

I'm uncertain whether you still get the Hyatt Platinum Gold Passport benefits if you don't use the card to book the room. Don't currently have time to hunt down the T&C. I would expect that you would still get free internet.

8. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much do you spend at Amazon each month/year? I have the Citi Forward card which earns 5x Thank You Points at bookstores, and Amazon.com counts as a bookstore for every purchase.

When you have at least 10,000 points, the points are worth 1¢ each for gift cards or travel.