Should I have used my AA citi card to book AA award travel?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Bill Day, Aug 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Well, I just used up our 75,000 AA Citi card bonus on AA travel from DFW to NBO. 75,000 points and $667 for business class. I was happy with the direct flights on BA.

After booking with my AA Citi card, I wondered if I had made a mistake. Chase Star Saphire has great trip protection, i.e. trip cancellation, trip delay, etc. I call Citi and they didn't have either of these.

THEN I realized I should have used my Amex SPG card, to fulfill my $4500 spending requirement. I believe it also has excellent trip protection, etc.

Anyone else done this? Was there any benefit from using my AA citi card?

Do I have to lie awake tonight worrying that I used the wrong card? ;-)

Thanks for any thoughts you have on this. - Cheryl

2. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I personally use Penfed AMEX for airline purchases. 5 pts/$ and each point is worth approx 1.6 cents. Citi doesn't give any extra mileage for booking AA tickets.

In your case, I would have used your Starwood AMEX as those points are fairly valuable.

3. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you need AA points, every dollar helps. I'd have done Starwood where 20,000 points = 25,000 AA miles.

4. Well, its over and done with. But I thought other newbies might learn from my mistake.
    Cheryl

5. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If you have the Amex Premier Gld card, I like that one for the 3X point bonus.

6. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    It used to be the case that Citi Business AA gave you 2 points per $1 spent... but that is no longer the case. You needed to spend $4,500 on SPG AMEX, so you are that much closer, remember you will get 30,000 points for that, so you should definitely use that card to get it over $4,500. AMEX has great protection and customer service, so you shouldn't worry too much about it.

Cheers,

PedroNY

7. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    Watch the SPG Amex trip proaction. It has decent baggage protection, but no trip health, so you'd better be covered by something else while travelling.

8. savingrace

savingrace Silver Member

Status Points:
    This trip is so expensive that we definitely have travel insurance, including the "get me the heck out of here quickly" medical insurance. It also has trip cancellation, missed connections, etc. But when you are stuck at the airport, it is nice to call a number and get help, as opposed to filing a claim later.

I have to go back and find the posts about "when a flight is cancelled, stand in line but call ...". These were very helpful.

Thanks so much for your comment about SPG trip coverage.