Should I have my wife go for A3 status?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Singapore Flyer, Oct 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife has a business trip coming up. JFK-ICN-HKG and back. It is on OZ in J/C. We fly once a year internationally to SEA and 1 domestic a year, all in coach as a family. She will still be short ~1k miles and will MR to get to 20K and get *A gold. We'll be adding a premium cabin awards for the two of us because of all your help here. :)

So, the question is, should she credit it to to A3 or leave it as UA and continue to replenish her account with this flight? We don't really want to leave it in OZ regardless. Don't plan on flying them too often.

Would appreciate your thoughts, suggestions, and comments.

TYIA

schen75 likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's the value proposition to you in having those 20K points orphaned in the A3 program versus lounge access for the duration of the status? For only 2 flights a year I wouldn't worry too much about lounge access and I'd focus on having the award points where I can best get good redemption value from them but it might be a different priority for you.

3. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the comments Seth. The orphans are something to think about if i can't find a good award redemption. Having the lounge and luggage are key for us with kids...we had vouchers to use once and came in really handy with the family. However, it is something to think about to give up ~20K miles. May actually be more if the flight qualifies for a cabin bonus.