Should I Go For Status, Wait For Now, Or Wait Forever?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Sep 5, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    As some readers may know, I just flew a couple segments in Emirates first class with Ben, and then hopped around Europe on British Airways, airberlin, and, within the past day, Austrian Airlines. I'll be returning home via Frankfurt on Lufthansa, and will be reviewing their first class product. That is, unless the pilots decide to strike without much advance notice in the next day or two. For me, flying economy, coach, "euro traveler," or whatever its called intra Europe is no big deal. The flights are generally no longer than a couple hours, and I'm not especially tall so the leg room isn't an issue for me. Depending on where you live in the United States, things might be more or less the same. If you are based in Chicago, for example, there's not that many U.S. destinations that are more than a few hours from Chicago. The west coast is the furthest, but that's still less than four hours of flight time away from Chicago. It's somewhat different when talking about someone who lives on the west coast and travels frequently to the east coast (or vice versa). My family lives on the east coast, in a city I have no choice but to connect to if flying any legacy carrier, and many of my friends are located in New York. Flights between JFK and LAX/SFO can take nearly as long as JFK-LHR, especially during the winter. And to the extent they're shorter on the outbound, that only ruins any chance of sleeping on a redeye. Factoring in that I often want to leave in the early evening on Sundays, i.e., I'm usually number 25 or so for departure at JFK, it should come as no surprise that I'm concerned about seat comfort. The post Should I Go For Status, Wait For Now, Or Wait Forever? appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...