Should I get the ihg cc?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by mohammadmoghimi, Jun 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. mohammadmoghimi

mohammadmoghimi Active Member

Status Points:
    Here's a bit about myself:
    - AAoA is ~1yr, oldest open account ~2yr and score ~750
    - I have a bunch of FF accounts and miles but no hotel cards.
    - usually travel cheap, sometimes airbnb, so I'm not looking for 5 star hotels.

I am looking for a hotel card
    - good sign up bonus that can potentially cover 3-4 night at a ~3 star hotel.
    - can be potentially kept after the first year i.e has some explicit benefits for keeping it or does not have annual fees.

I'm thinking of the IHG select card with the 80k bonus that is equal to 3-4 nights at 20k/30k redemption levels. I don't have concrete plans for where I want to use the points but I think it's good to bank some hotel points to use later. What do guys suggest?

daninstl, WilliamQ and About Again like this.
  2. About Again

About Again Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes go for it if you like IHG brands

uggboy and traveltoomuch like this.
  3. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would say yes especially if you are open to the point break specials. I recently have booked 3 nights on point breaks. Two nights for a family member and one night for a weekend away for my birthday. I also like the one free night each year. I used my last free night in Europe this spring and I hope to maximize the value of my next year free night for a night in NYC in December right before the holidays. I know I can get the value of the annual fee out that one night.

4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:

If you qualify and the nett cost is on the positive side, there is really no harm getting the card.
    I only wish I have the choice.

uggboy and About Again like this.
  5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    This sounds like a good match for you.

I would not plan to put any spending on the IHG card (other than, perhaps, IHG hotels) - IHG points have a low value to me, and the bonus spend categories on this card (gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants) don't excite me. But there's nothing wrong with getting it for the signup bonus and keeping it for the annual free night.

uggboy and About Again like this.
  6. mohammadmoghimi

Status Points:
    My other options are:
    - Club Carlson: 85k bonus with their 2nd night free it's like 4 nights
    - Hilton Reserve: 2 weekend night + 100$ bonus (then downgrade to the no fee version or just go with the 60k bonus of the no af version, you can hardly use 60k for two nights I think)
    - SPG: 30k which is good for 3+ nights and generally is a good card. I think I just wait for a better offer as amex cards are not churnable.
    - or all of the above :)

uggboy likes this.
  7. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    All of those are issued by different banks. This may be a case where "go for it" is the right answer.

Personally, I was slower to adopt annual-fee cards when I was new to the game, and getting four at once seems a little extreme. How diligent do you think you'll be at watching for the annual fees and making good decisions when they next come due?

uggboy likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Overall, I believe after seeing this thread that the IHG card is best for you, based on the results you want to achieve.

vickers likes this.
  9. mohammadmoghimi

Status Points:
    thanks guys. I applied for IHG card and was instantly approved for 15K$. yoohoo

uggboy likes this.
  10. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have a link for the 80K IHG card I've only seen the 60K recently. I go the 80K a few years ago. I think it time to sign the wife up for the 80K card.

Also remember with the IHG card you get 10% of your points back in a rebate after an award stay, and free night each year at any hotel for $49 annual fee..

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  11. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Nice hotels. $49 annual fee, but you get a free room yearly. Worth it.

uggboy likes this.
  12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, I'm glad the OP has chosen this one, especially with free night, this could be very valuable.

vickers likes this.
  13. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    On Flyertalk folks are reporting that after using the following link, they are getting 80,000 points:
    https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?SPID=F7RX&CELL=6CXW&AFFID=&CLICK=&CID=&PROMO=DF01
    If you use the 60,000 point application, you can always ask Chase to bump the bonus.

uggboy likes this.
  14. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have two of the IHG cards and they are well worth it. Much better than Carlson or Hilton for sure. Marriott isn't bad but IHG is better. Starwood or others are good but not as good for value hotels.

uggboy likes this.
  15. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    We in Europe would love to have such a good opportunity. It is a very good way to get free hotel nights.
    Would anyone suggest a possibility to sign for a similar card?