Should I get seat ( In business ) for 20 month old

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Aditya Vyas, Aug 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    All,

I am in dilemma. I am planning to get award seat in business ( SFO-BOM) from my wife who will be travelling with my son alone. Wanted to get take from fellow Mpers. Seem like I am leaning towards getting a seat but would like to hear view points

2. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make him fly coach

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    He's not going to sit there all flight and instead will make your wife entertain him and carry him most of the flight. :)

But with that said, that is a significant amount of time in the air, to say the least, so it would probably help your wife greatly if he has his own seat, especially when he goes to sleep, etc.

Not sure if you looked up the aircraft type also to see what the seating arrangements are in Business. I know one of the primary reasons my wife and I chose not to fly US Airways to Europe in January is because they don't offer first, only Envoy, and their seating arrangement is not practical for traveling with a child.

4. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back in October flying from ORD-PEK I noticed a grandmother caring for, what could have been an 20mo old, in business. I was in E+ mind you...not that I'm bitter, LOL. But nevertheless, the kid did great. I personally felt that because he was able to fully recline to sleep, watch t.v, etc. he may have been a lot more settled than, comparatively, if he was in coach. I have a hard time not crying sitting upright, bad service and bad food for 13hrs. I cant imagine an 18mo sitting still for a trans-con flight. For what it's worth.

viguera likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Giving him his own seat, even if in coach, would be much better than a 20-month-old lap child for such a long trip. That sounds horrible.

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would grab the biz seat, that is way too much time to be in transit without it.

7. curtis1120

curtis1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I vote for getting him a seat. That is a really long flight and both mother and child will arrive with more sanity.

8. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always vote for getting little ones a seat, if possible. Though I am about to try doing it without one for the first (and likely only time!) Especially on a flight that long having one seat would be tough. With her being by herself, I can't imagine having to hold a 20 month old for that long of a period of time. If you have the miles or cash to do it, make the trip easier for your wife and kid and get the extra seat.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  9. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a REALLY long flight. Is the question whether to have the child as a lap infant in Business or his own seat? If those are the options, definitely go with the latter. If money is an issue, you can go with 2 (or even 3) seats in coach. As another commenter mentioned, check the seating arrangement for the airline you're on. Depending on the layout, it may or may not be very convenient.

joesmoe likes this.
  10. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with this. Two seats in coach is better than 1 seat in business. Sometimes I even prefer coach when my wife and I are flying with our 3-year old because (1) I won't be as worried about disrupting the business cabin and (2) the seating configuration makes it easier for two adults to corral a kid.

11. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another vote for another seat.

12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
  13. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you love you wife, you would!!! :D

Aditya Vyas likes this.
  14. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Get the second seat.

charlilo likes this.
  15. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plus the surcharge for the "lap child" on an International flight in business would probably be similar to the normal cost of just an ordinary coach seat. So go for two seats.

16. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think there is any question that it would be more convenient to have more seats than fewer if cost is not an issue.

However, assuming that cost is an issue (whether that be miles or $$), you can always get 2 seats in coach for the price of 1 business class seat. Additionally, if your wife has status on a carrier with nicer economy (e.g. E+ of UA) then it definitely isn't too bad and you could just pay up to E+ seats for your son.

Now if you are paying $$, then you would most definitely want 2 seats in coach vs 1 in business. The mileage that your wife and son could accumulate would almost earn them each status on just that one flight.

17. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thank everyone for overwhelming response. I sure plan to discuss with my wife about all the support she has here :). BTW I am planning the following. SFO-BOS ( i day Stay) then BOS-FRA-BOM. return would be BOM-FRA-SFO. All on Lufthansa

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the record, note that lap kids don't earn either status or redeemable miles even though their tickets can be expensive for international travel. However, they do get some baggage allowance; check with the carrier for details.

19. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup they don't get miles just diaper bag and another bag as an allowance.

20. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    On Lufthansa long-haul flights special baby cots are available. Please be aware that the number of seats with cots is limited. The bassinets are suitable for babies up to 14 kg and up to 83 cm in length and are provided free of charge. Night flights are especially suitable for journeys with small children because children can then maintain their usual sleep pattern and get some rest.

Maybe you don't need to get a seat. Not sure how this works. In business, most of the LF seats are Angled Lie Flat Seats. I do not like them but they beat coach.

Aditya Vyas likes this.
  21. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about letting your wife have the last word, since she is the one who will be stuck on the plane? Given that she knows what such a long flight means with a toddler on her lap, I am pretty sure she will prefer two Y seats than one J. As the ones sitting next to her, probably !

22. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whatever you do, get the child his own seat unless YOU plan on flying with him on your lap for the entire flight. With a seat for the child, your wife can put the child on her lap when she wants.

Also, when you travel, you're not allowed to have your briefcase on your lap during takeoff and landing. Why? For safety reasons. So why would parents want to have their own CHILDREN on their laps? What if there is a problem and the baby is knocked up on the ceiling in case of a drop or extremely bumpy ride?

I don't understand how flying with a child on one's lap is even remotely safe.

23. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done a lot of travelling with my kids, 14, 12 and 2 1/2 , and please get your child a seat. No child likes to be held all flight long and certainly sitting / letting them play on the floor is also a risk and annoyance.

24. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone. Just to clarify its my wife telling me not to get an extra seat? I do have enough miles for both seats. Maybe I just buy 2 seats in economy and then upgrade to Business. BTW way since I want to fly to BOM which united doesn't serve so don't have clear idea about availability in Business class?

25. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all. I am getting 2 business class seats SFO-FRA-BOM.

dgreen12 and KyRoamer like this.