Should I fight this AMEX MQM issue?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Ed Ip, Dec 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I need your advice on a Delta AMEX issue (not sure if this is the right forum). So here are the facts:

- I signed up for the Gold Delta AMEX last year (can't remember the sign up bonus offer)
    - I upgraded to the Platinum this year because I received an email that I would receive 5k MQM after first purchase with the upgrade. I needed the 5K this year.
    - I never received the 5k MQM

After a series of messages and phone calls with AMEX to figure out why I have not received the 5k MQM, they said that with the Gold I've received 20k redeemable miles as the norm plus 10k MQM by accident (apparently the 10k MQM only come with the Reserve). AMEX did not reverse the 10k MQM even though they could have.

Because I got 10K MQM by accident last year, they are not going to give me the 5k MQM that I should have with the upgrade.

At this point, I have gone through all available research channels and the last step is to send a letter to the Consumer Relations department in Florida which I have yet to do. My argument is it's not my fault they chose not to reverse the 10K accidental MQM, and that they should honor something that I was targeted for regardless of their mistake. Frankly, I am convinced the 10K MQM was part of my sign up bonus but I don't have any proofs.

My questions, do you all think I have a leg to stand on or is the fight pretty much over? Should I even expect a positive outcome at this point?

Thanks!

Ed

2. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to agree with American Express. You were given 10K MQM already and are only suppose to get 5K so you came out ahead. With rollover miles, these basically carry over to this year....

3. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check the fine print. You came out ahead. Generally, upgrading cards DOES NOT get you mqms. That's usually only for new customers. I'd take what you got and run.

4. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got 5K MQM for upgrading to the Platinum SkyMiles card from the Gold SkyMiles card this year. I do agree with the others that if OP already got 10K MQM, getting 5K more is unlikely.

5. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Forgetting about trying to remember it, do you have a copy of the offer and/or a screenshot of what you were presented with on the Web?

If you can document everything and you did not receive what you were entitled to in total, then you should call the Amex Executive Offices and let them investigate it for you.

I had a problem in getting MQMs credited properly - due to an error that was on the Amex side - but I had everything properly documented and, in the end, Amex did more than make me whole because of the amount of time it took to deal with the issue that was their fault.

6. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all. To clarify, the 10k MQM were received last year and I upgraded to the Platinum this year and was REALLY hoping for the 5k this year because I didn't have any status last year and so not able to rollover any MQM.

Unfortunately I didn't keep very good record and do not have a copy of the offer anymore. But I do think it's a dead end. I think I am going to send the letter anyway just in case I catch AMEX in a giving mood but not going to hold my breathe.

Ed