Should I do a Platinum Challenge?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Jimgotkp, Jan 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    My HHonors Gold status expires at the end of March 2013, so I'm hoping to get status with another program. I don't travel much so I won't be using the Plat status much.

There is a nearby Fairfield Inn near me where rates are going for $65 per night after taxes and I can do 9 stays at that rate. The Megabonus is going on too, so I can get 3 Cat 1-4 free night certs on top of the Plat status that lasts till 2015.

What would you do in my shoes? Worth it or no?

GoodBoy, uggboy and tondoleo like this.
  2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say it really depends where you tend to travel. Marriott certainly has a lot of properties but Platinum doesn't get you much in Fairfield Inns. Some Fairfields are good with upgrades though we're still talking Fairfield Inn -- I mean some are very nice but don't expect extreme luxury! No matter where you stay the 50% extra rewards points are nice with Platinum.

Your plan does sound pretty good though!

GoodBoy, uggboy and Jimgotkp like this.
  3. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do you want the status to ultimately provide you by the end of February 2014?

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't just stay at Fairfield Inn's, its just for the status nights due to the cheap rates. :)

GoodBoy and uggboy like this.
  5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Upgrades, lounge access, and breakfast bennies :)

6. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you planned out what parts of the world that you would like to stay? Would the Marriott chain provide you with this?

Would you be able to get a status providing cc and use your ingenuity to make the spend rather than use $ 595.00 for Marriott status? I'm thinking getting a Hilton card that provides gold status if you like the chain or PC Visa and getting Platinum.

GoodBoy, Jimgotkp and uggboy like this.
  7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    After doing some research I can use less $ on the Plat status by purchasing a $500 GC for $450 while getting a 2% cashback on that purchase. Also, when I'm making reservations I can get 3% cashback on the room rates.

From my understanding, I have to use a CC for the "deposit" on advance purchase reservations but can switch to the GC during checkout, right?

8. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope, I just want some status to fall back on once the HHonors status expires. I don't have an AMEX Plat, so no FHR option too :(

9. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suggest patience. Some program will show up with "free" status.

What about Accor? They have free platinum status available. https://s-leclub.accorhotels.com/en...&hasPromoCode=true&promoCode=LEUMIACLUBPLAT11

Best of luck with this Jimmy.

I admire your ambition.:)

For FHR bennies I suspect you could always have a pal set up the rez for your stay so you could enjoy the benefits.

10. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I already have Accor Plat but it's quite useless in the States. It was useful for my trip to BKK though! :)

That's a good idea with the FHR since I did that at YVR but I don't want to be annoying to everyone :p

11. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just find one person to annoy.:) Wouldn't they get the stay/points credit?

12. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends if they want to leave their account # on the reservation... :)

GoodBoy, tondoleo and uggboy like this.
  13. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. Advance purchase rates are charged to your card at booking. (Well, actually most are charged after a couple of days since there is a grace period.) When you check out you've already been charged and maybe already have received your credit card bill!

14. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. Thanks, bigx0! :)

GoodBoy, tondoleo and uggboy like this.
  15. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to be sure I understood: I'm assuming here you mean advance purchase RATES -- special discounted rates you get if you commit a week or two in advance. Regular advance reservations aren't charged till you check out, so yes, you can substitute payment at checkout. It's the special advance purchase rates I was referring to (and I think you were, too!).

16. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you can still get free HH Gold through the visa infinite card thing? OR you can do a status match with IHG - I did mine a while ago. Club Carlson and Best Western do status match too.

17. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think if you have a trip planned to Asia it would come in handy to have platinum status to go with the certs. Plenty of cat 4s that will get a nice stay plus the free bennies.

18. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    So you're talking about $585 + taxes for 9 x 1 night stays at $65/each. You'll get 3 free cat 1-4 nights so if you value those around $150/nt including taxes you avoid, you're talking about a refund of around $450. That brings your cost for Marriott Plat (which I assume you value only equivalent to HH Gold) to $135.

Wouldn't it be better just to get the Hilton Reserve card for $95/yr and keep your Hilton Gold status without all the effort?

19. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    It says "Advance Purchase rate, deposit required" and the rate details are:

Rate Rules

Advance Purchase rate, deposit required
    Additional Information

• 3 Day Advance Purchase Rate
    • Must book at least 5 days prior to arrival
    • No changes or cancellations are permitted
    • Credit Card Deposits only
    • Invalid credit card numbers and credit cards with
    • insufficient funds will cause the hotel to cancel
    • the reservation without notice.
    • Includes 1 King Bed
    • Free Continental Breakfast
    • Free High Speed Internet
    • Free Parking
    Holding Your Reservation

• We will need a credit card prepayment to reserve your room.
    • To ensure that you receive this special rate, we will charge your credit card a prepayment of 67.85 USD (your room charge plus tax for 1 night) on February 3, 2013.

Canceling Your Reservation

• You may cancel your reservation for no charge until February 3, 2013.
    • Please note that we will assess a fee of 67.85 USD if you must cancel after this deadline.
      If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card.
      This fee equals 1 night of your room charge plus tax (for the first night of your reservation).
    Modifying Your Reservation

• Please note that a change in the length or dates of your reservation may result in a rate change.
    • Your current rate may be available if your modified reservation still includes:
      • A reservation made 3 day(s) before your expected arrival.

20. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I already status matched to IHG once and it was a useless status to have. I also status matched to BW but want to leave Club Carlson alone.

21. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't want to apply for any more credit cards since I need to have a clear credit history now..

22. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mr. Nacho has got an offer for Plat challenge - 9 stays before May 31 and he can be Plat until Feb 2014.

I thought if he does the challenge now he'll get Plat until Feb 2015 - is it something new?

Thanks in advance!

GoodBoy likes this.
  23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see how a friend can make a reservation to get you the FHR benefits. They could make the reservation in both names and guarantee it with their Platinum or Centurion card, but the rules say that the Plat/Centurion cardmember must pay with an AmEx card in his/her own name. So the friend would need to check in and check out for you.

GoodBoy likes this.
  24. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not seen major differences between FHR rates/benefits versus some I got through a Virtuoso agent. More to the point, you are dealing with an individual rather than whoever answer the phone at AMEX. I've done Silversea cruises with both. With AMEX, each call I was on hold for 5 minutes while the agent read my record to get up to date versus someone who knew me and could be more proactive about going the extra mile.

I imagine there are FHR properties that Virtuoso does not have relationships with (and possibly vice-versa) but if you are paying for a hotel stay at a top property, I find it always best to see what the agent can do for you. I can tell you that mine did MAGIC for me at the PH Paris Vendome!