Should I close my oldest credit card account?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by chichiliano, Mar 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. chichiliano

chichiliano Active Member

Status Points:
    My oldest CC (a Wells Fargo Visa, nothing special) is one that I rarely use (have had it since 2006), but have been told by others to keep because it looks good on credit report.

That said, I recently did a churn and now have about 7 credit accounts. My second oldest account is three years old.

Should I keep this account, or am I doing harm by closing it?

mo26, Sweet Willie and jbcarioca like this.
  2. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd vote to keep it open because:

a. It's Wells Fargo, so it's not like you're going to be after a lot of credit from them. They don't really play the miles/points game
    b. It's your oldest card, increasing avg age of accounts and helping your credit
    c. I'm assuming it's a no annual fee card so it's not costing you anything except maybe the occasional use to keep it open.

Doesn't sound like it's doing any harm keeping it open but it will harm your credit (slightly) if you close it.

mo26, jbcarioca and edekba like this.
  3. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just keep it open and put it away. It won't hurt you to keep it open.

mo26, jbcarioca, wrxmom and 1 other person like this.
  4. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    With your oldest account only being 7 years old, I don't think it'll hurt as much as others say.

First of all, the account won't even fall off your credit report until 7 years after the closing date.

Second, let's do some rough number crunching with the facts - 7 cards, oldest is 7yo, next oldest is 3yo.

When this WF card falls off your account in 7 years (if you closed it today), you'd be going from about 9.1 years average age to 8.3 years. Not an entirely big deal.

**I'm really just thinking out loud regarding everyone's big hangup on average age of accounts.

mo26, jbcarioca and edekba like this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    and use it once/twice a year :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh I forgot to add my opinion. Even through my little math problem finding, still just keep it open if it has zero annual fee! :D

jbcarioca and edekba like this.
  7. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My oldest card just sits in a drawer. I never use it and have had it for 10+ years. No reason to close cards pretty much ever unless you have a fee.

daninstl, jbcarioca and edekba like this.
  8. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    You didn't mention how high the line of credit is on your WF card. You'll want to take that into account as well because if you close the card it reduces your total available credit and could change your debt to credit ratio.

Sweet Willie, daninstl and jbcarioca like this.
  9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Positive credit info will generally remain on credit report for well after 7 years, whether closed account or not. Most negative (but not all) gets dropped after 7 years.
    prob best reason to keep it open if OP is younger!

infamousdx likes this.
  10. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    This to me is a no brainier, keep it if it's free. How many of you out there would think of canceling their JC Penny's, Macy's or Home Dopot card just because it was old? Use them ony to keep them open.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  11. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I learned this lesson the hard way. I wish I knew then what I know now, because I closed all kinds of NAF cards when I was younger, and while I have 17 active ones now, my oldest card isn't all that old. That's what is keeping my score from being in the high 700's or low 800's, I think.

12. chichiliano

chichiliano Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all for the responses! The card limit is $7,500. I will keep it open, and use it occasionally.

13. tim0thy

tim0thy Active Member

Status Points:
    I just want to echo the comments here: keep it open!

Someone mentioned that it takes 7 years to fall of your credit report and while that is true, FICO only factors OPEN ACCOUNTS into the average length of credit cards. That said, if you close your card it will probably adversely affect your credit score by lowering your average account age (for open cards).