Should I Change My Address to Avoid Minimum Spend?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by avflyer, Dec 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an fully functional and legit address in Canada. I am considering changing my UA profile address (currently a US address), so as to avoid the minimum spend requirement. Does anyone see any downside especially as it relates to TSA Pre-Check?

MX likes this.
  2. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a UA 1K in Toronto... still use Pre-Check through Nexus in the US. I don't see why there should be any issue with having a Canadian address...

avflyer likes this.
  3. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I don't have Nexus.. You would think I did, but I don't. Thanks for the help.

UA191 likes this.
  4. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Super easy to apply for & UA will cover the cost for Nexus or GE if you're a 1K...

5. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, where I reside, there is no convenient airport to go to to be interviewed for Nexus or GE. I suppose if I really mad a concerted effort I could figure it out.....I'm just not that inspired.

UA191 likes this.
  6. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Trick for Nexus appt is to call the airport and talk to somebody. When I signed up, their appt waitlist was 6 months... I called & they got me in at YYZ the next week... (I think the staff there handles cancellations after a certain point). You can do it!! It's totally worth it!

7. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Again, thanks for the advice on Nexus. The closest place for me to interview for GE and Nexus is over 2,500 miles away. I normally am in Hawaii. I OCCASIONALLY travel to and my wife resides in Canada. I appreciate all the advice, but getting a Nexus pass or GE is not in the cards. I'm really not sure I even want to do it.

The question is does anyone have any idea how this change of address will effect my current Pr-Check status? N

snod08 likes this.
  8. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I want to say that changing your address "may not" affect pre-check status.....I dont think anyone knows the exact answer. I doubt even if the TSA knows that answer.

avflyer likes this.
  9. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    GE is available at HNL, so you can do the GE interview there. (not Nexus though.)

-David

avflyer likes this.
  10. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Probably the smartest thing I have read in weeks.

Mahalo

snod08 likes this.
  11. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did not know that. I might go for GE. I just have a big problem with the government having more bio-metrics on me...but I suppose that ship has sailed.

12. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually didn't have Nexus for a portion of this year (renewal period), where I just applied for Pre-Check with UA status (with Canadian address). I had Pre-Check on nearly all of my US domestic flights. Shouldn't be a problem...

13. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wonder if UA has an "alert implant" at the moment so when people with US residences change their account address to one outside the US, assuming many people may consider this as a way of skirting the new "spend" requirements? (I'd for one want to see a scan of your Canadian provincial health card.) You may have a "legit" address up here, but are you a legal resident for purposes of escaping the "spend" net? What about the address on the US credit card on your account, and the default that books legit Canadian residents through the UA.ca site in US dollars instead of UA.com? Not to mention a possible audit that might reveal none of your flight over the past several years even originated in the city where you supposedly reside?

Misplaced Texan and avflyer like this.
  14. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know the answer to this, but I can guess (in party based on explicit language that DL has posted).

If you change your MP address to a foreign one and don't file a change of address with the post office, you're going to get questions. They'll either reject it and require you to appeal or they'll ask you for supporting info.

I don't know how they will handle folks with two legal residences and I imagine it will be in the typical case-by-case and YMMV way they handle most everything.

If you don't own property in a foreign country or pay rent in a foreign country, you're probably going to have a hard time unless you actually change your address with the post office. If you don't pay taxes in a foreign country, same deal.