Should I buy AA miles through Craigslist?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Jay Wilson, Apr 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Jay Wilson

Jay Wilson New Member

Status Points:
    Someone is selling a bunch. I need some, but they are a good price. HOWEVER, I'm reading that this might not be such a great idea. If it's not, where should I look for a better price than through AA itself?

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just sign up for a few credit cards and reach the minimum spends. The current sign up bonus for the Citi Executive AAdvantage card is 100K, which is a really good bonus. The downside to it is the $450 annual fee but with the $200 statement credit, it's more like a $250 annual fee for 100K miles. Another option is to apply for the regular AAdvantage credit cards (personal and/or business), which come with a waiver on the first year's annual fee. If you want to make it to a churn, then apply for the SPG AMEX as well since they're transferable to AA at a 1:1 ratio and you get a 5K bonus for every 20K you transfer.

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    As jimgotkp suggests above, applying for credit cards with Citi is a great way. Buying miles on CL is probably one of the worst ways.

4. Jay Wilson

Jay Wilson New Member

Status Points:
    Ah, yes, well...I've done that, at least the Citibank card. I have over 50,000 now, but need 60,000 for a June trip. Sorry I didn't spell that out.

5. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Buried in the fine print of agreeing to be an AAdvantage member is the following clause:

"At no time may AAdvantage mileage credit or award tickets be purchased, sold, or bartered. Any such mileage or tickets are void if transferred for cash or other consideration."

Unless you're ok with possibly having your AAdvantage account frozen and/or closed, I would stay away from buying/selling miles or awards [unless you're buying miles directly from AAdvantage]:

"Violators (including any passenger who uses a purchased or bartered award ticket) may be liable for damages and litigation costs, including American Airlines' attorneys' fees incurred in enforcing this rule."

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    gregm, pointshogger and Newscience like this.
  6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might also consider if buying 60,000 miles from AAdvantage would be cheaper than paying cash for the ticket you're wanting...

gregm, pointshogger and Newscience like this.
  7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    No.

gregm likes this.
  8. Jay Wilson

Jay Wilson New Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I appreciate the advice. I'll stay clear. Buying direct from AA just seems expensive. I only need about 5 or 6 thousand to pay the rest for both ways. What is this points.com I read about? Is that a good way to do it? Sorry for all the questions, but I don't normally fly AA on miles, or anyway else.

gregm likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. Almost certainly cheaper/easier/better buying direct from AA.

10. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, buying "directly" from AA is operated by points.com ;) !

gregm, Max M and MX like this.
  11. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I would be very careful about purchasing points from someone else. I would rather not have my account frozen.

You can always wait for a bonus point promotion when buying points.

Can you still take advantage of the 100,000 points promotion with the Citi Executive AAdvantage card? If you already have the card, you can cancel it and sign up again.

gregm and Max M like this.
  12. Jay Wilson

Jay Wilson New Member

Status Points:

I need to book this probably in the next week, for a trip to London in June. I probably wouldn't be able to get this done quick enough. I'll check points.com

13. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Craigslist is best when using it to buy/sell/rent property, cars and prostitutes.. :rolleyes:

daninstl and B1BomberVB like this.
  14. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    JayWilson, do U have credit card or hotel points that can be transferred to AA miles?

daninstl likes this.
  15. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    and used iPhones, stolen Xbox's and Genuine Rolex watches.

Seriously don't try to buy miles or points on CL or Ebay. Best case scenario is works out and you find a really trustworthy stranger that somehow get's these miles to you. Worst case they either rip you off, you get nothing, or AA finds out and shuts your account down and you get less than nothing as you would lose your current miles and maybe any status as well. You have a problem in that you need the points fast. I would check to see if you have any bonus AA buying deals right now by logging into your AA account and start the buying process to see if it offers them to you. If not wait until Thursday (May 1st) to see if an offer comes along. If not you'll have to pony up the bucks to top off your account. In the mean time start hunting for the award space as it can be hard to find this close to June depending on the route.

A couple things future reference is when booking an award you should try (I know it's not always possible) to book further out than 5 to 8 weeks. Think 8 to 11 months to get the best deal and most availability. If you like AA and fly much get the AA Exec. card through one of the bloggers links to support them. Also try to find an Admiral's club reference number for the sign up to help them out as well. You'll want the 100k miles deal if you can find it and if you can meet the $10k minimum spend in 3 to 4 months. If you don't fly as much I would suggest one of the other AA Citi cards with lower annual fees. Also if you typically redeem for domestic tickets.... Two things, you might want to add a Chase British Airways (BA) Avios card as US Domestic redemption is a sweet spot for this product. Again find a good link though one of the Milepoint Active Bloggers websites. OR consider just paying for domestic tickets if they are cheap enough as the redemption price per miles may not be great depending on the route.

gregm likes this.
  16. Jay Wilson

Jay Wilson New Member

Status Points:
    Hi, thanks for all the help. As I mentioned, I do have the one card which I got for miles. I took one trip to London (from Chicago) already and trying to do a last minute one. There are seats available for the days I want, but in June the price goes up to 30K each way. AA has a sale now of sorts for points, and I am also transfering a few Marriott points. I've bought Admirals Club passes before and had good luck with them. Not sure if I'll do that this time as most of my flights will be early morning.
    But most of my flights are in the States, and I use SWA almost all the time. About every 4th trip on them is on miles, which is good.I'm trying for a companion pass for next year.
    I appreciate all the help, warnings, and suggestions.

17. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jay, over on Flyertalk.com there's a thread about their Coupon Connection forum being raided by undercover AA mileage police who posed as people who wanted to trade or sell miles & upgrades! Their spies also watch ebay & Craigslist. OTOH, if you buy miles from your cousin or his/her co-worker or your sports teammate's sister-in-law, no airline has any way of knowing whether you paid for the miles. Because most airlines do allow us to give/ use our miles for our friends & family!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  18. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    US Airways is supposed to have a 100% bonus sale next week. Not sure if this will help you or not.

daninstl likes this.
  19. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing wrong with applying for another AA CC

Amex also has AA CC. And SPG get you 25k.

No need for CL.

daninstl and B1BomberVB like this.
  20. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since mileage in AA and US accounts cannot be combined as of yet and the OP is only a few thousand miles short... probably not so much.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's say I have an account with 6000 orphan AA miles (I don't). Let's say I agree to sell you those miles for a penny a mile ($60). How'd you go about combining them with your existing miles to purchase one ticket?

AA allows for sharing of miles (transfer from my account to yours)... for a fee. https://buy.points.com/PointsPartne...age=EN&product=TRANSFER&CAMPAIGNCODE=MktgPgUS tells me that it would cost $110 + $35 to transfer 6000 miles from my account to yours. Of course I would not cover that cost, so you'd pay $60 + $110 + 35 = $205 for those 6000 miles.

Do the math and see if that's much cheaper than buying the miles straight from AA with zero risk.

Those for-sale miles on Craigslist presumably either give you an award ticket (to be booked by the seller) or a password to an abandoned account with the miles for you to use as you see fit. In either case you hand over your dollars and risk having your acquired ticket or miles voided by AA.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  22. Jay Wilson

Jay Wilson New Member

Status Points:

23. Jay Wilson

Jay Wilson New Member

Status Points:
    SO...it is okay then to buy points on Points.com? That is sort of a transfering thing I gather. I just click on the one I want to buy it and it goes from there? WAIT, never mind. I got it.

24. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    By approving points.com 's system of trading, the airlines underscore their hypocrisy: It's OK to barter miles as long as outrageously excessive fees (More than half what the darn miles are worth!) are paid to points.com &or the airlines!

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  25. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    HMWT, when one gets control of an AAcount, the smart thing to do is to change the address to make it look like a co-worker or roommate/ family member.