Should I brag about this award or sweat?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by johnzavala111, Aug 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. johnzavala111

johnzavala111 Active Member

Status Points:
    Moderator- please place where appropriate, possibly a new bad-ass or dumb-ass forum

Super lurker with too few posts but I couldn't help myself this time.

I'll be going to Kiev,Ukraine next year in June for the soccer 2012 Euros and thought I would check on award availability for the Intercontinental Kiev. (Note- there is almost NEVER award stays at huge events like this as I always go and have to pay cash). To my utter shock there were award redemptions for all but 1 day I would be there!

After days of deliberating (more on that later) I pulled the trigger an hour ago and got three nights. I checked on the "Best Available" rate for the nights I would be there and they show the cheapest rooms for $2,240.00 Euros each night! I got them for 20k points and $60! This has got to be some kind of award record- or is it?

What is the most you have saved with a hotel award?

Now for the bad news- the "cancellation policy". Apparently, if I am a no-show or cancel my stay my credit card will be charged the going rate for the room- which as you saw above is over $3000.00 dollars! I confirmed this with 2 separate CSR's. Hence the days of deliberation.

I thought it was too good an award to pass up so I went with it.

Is there any kind of travel insurance that can insure for such an amount?

Hope you found this entertaining and any advice would help.

K F, jmrich1432, Bluto and 6 others like this.
  2. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is a hard to believe policy.

-Item one, change the credit card on file to a virtual number with a $10 limit.
    -Item two, think about making another reservation and sell the room on eBay/Craig'sList/Ukraine equivalent:).
    -Worst case, if you are thinking you may miss the reservation, empty your IHG account of points and call the hotel to beg for a release

3. TravelerMSY

TravelerMSY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most of the IHG's have 24 hour cancel or forfeit the points. Are you sure that's not the policy? As a practical matter, I am sure the hotel manager would be happy to let you out of the reservation at no penalty if they can resell it for so much. Just ask.

aitchly likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the IC Kiev has any rooms -- even the Ambassador Suite -- for more than 1k Euro a night, but I could be wrong.

But if you got a confirmation email with a reservation number and all, there's not much to worry about. Maybe it's a mistake on their end as far as cash & points go, but if you wanna go look gift horse in the mouth, feel free. :)

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I take that back... I see that they're jacking up their prices, probably because of the Soccer... € 2,275 for a standard room all the way up to 4,100 for the Suite. A 600% markup from current prices... :)

But I also see that there are no reward nights or cash & points available at that hotel, so I don't know how you were allowed to book it.

aitchly likes this.
  6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy! These are the moments we live for - the ones that other people get but we never do. You did it!

And yes - absolutely get travel insurance. If you have an AMEX card, it is easy to do it thru them but I'm sure there are plenty of others.

7. MrHalliday
    Original Member

MrHalliday Silver Member

Status Points:
    What dates were you able to book ??

8. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice one!

CHECK IN EARLY!!!!!!!!!

9. sunspotzsz