Should hotels recognize or prioritize groups (or at least the group organizer)?

Discussion in 'Other Hotel Programs' started by MyTravels, Jan 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    [Note: As this is not brand specific I am not sure if this should be moved elsewhere]

I understand, "it depends" but in general should there be recognition and/or prioritization at a minimum for the organizer?

Example 1: The hotel was under 50% occupied yet other than putting everyone on the same floor there was no special treatment or even acknowledgement of the group.

Example 2: The hotel was sold out and contacted us multiple times prior to the stay inquiring if we wanted to cancel. In that instance I understand why there was no acknowledgement or special treatment as they had "sellers remorse" with the rate that was booked far in advance, but did honor the confirmations.

flyingdawg likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see no problems in either of the two described scenarios. Were you hoping for a free upgrade or something?

wrxmom and LIH Prem like this.
  3. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's the question, what are others experiences and thoughts on what should reasonably occur?

Typically from my past experiences the group is acknowledged/recognized (thank you blah, blah, blah group) and many (most?) instances at least the organizer is issues X number of upgrades (when available) and/or gifts for the group and the organizer can select which reservations receive the benefits.

Although it may seem as a "nice thank you" for the most part it's good business as the organizer brought in 1,000's of dollars to the hotel (especially if it's over half empty) and it's a little/no-cost "investment" that hopefully they or other organizers they know steer more business that way.

flyingdawg likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The term I'd use is "bribe" if the organizer negotiates the "investment".

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you want one of the rooms in the block to be a suite negotiate that in the room block. I know it can be done and often without paying extra, depending on the size of the room block.

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed, all the organizer needs to do is ask for the desired benefit(s). But I'd be careful that the other attendees do not find out about the organizer getting the perk(s), while some may understand it is part of business, others will view it as one person using them for a gain.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  7. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    There seems to be some confusion about this thread, so please let me clarify:
    (a) This is about the hotels activities after the group rate is booked and paid for (is not about what can be negotiated into a group rate, or negotiating special deals for select guests prior to the booking/stay or as others call them prior arranging "bribes").​
    (b) I completely agree that the hotel does not owe the group any more than what was agreed to in the group deal. The discussion (and this is a discussion board) is regarding hotel activities above and beyond the agreement.​
    (c) I included two examples in the original post as the group had very different financial impacts on each hotel and a sold-out hotel has a different amount of low/no-costs of courtesies than a low-occupancy hotel.​

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Get whatever extras you want spelled out in the event contract.

9. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I give up, it seems that everyone wants to talk about contract negotiations (which is not the topic of the original post)

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The answer actually is in there. Everyone is saying the hotels don't owe you anything and that you shouldn't expect it. You think the answer is "it depends." Everyone else is saying the answer is "no."

If you want recognition as the sponsor of the event then negotiate for it. Or ask for it upon arrival. But being disappointed that the company delivered exactly what they promised you seems like a rather depressing way to go through life.

11. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some hotels have preferred planner programs. Like Starwood Preferred Planner's program. You can earn points, as the planner, based on different things (amount of f&b spend), # of rooms booked, etc... Depending on the amount of business you bring a hotel, or brand, you might get some extras as a thank you. I got a very nice XMas gift from the Renaissance Stanford Court after negotiating a contract for 400+ rooms nights for a group. I got a nice gift certificate from a hotel after planning several meetings w/sleeping rooms at their hotel. It's always a nice surprise and always appreciated when it happens, but it's not something that should ever be expected.

I think that it's up to the hotel if they want to thank you and it's probably based on what you brought to the hotel, how nice or how challenging the group was during the stay, how much business you could bring them in the following year, etc... It's a good way to grow a relationship and foster continued business.

MyTravels and Wandering Aramean like this.
  12. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    The hotel doesn't owe any more than what's previously agreed to in the contract - I don't believe that is a point of dispute.

If your answer is, "No. A hotel should never do anything beyond the scope of the contract ever." Then that would be on-topic.

Again, nothing is wrong with sticking to the contract or going above-and-beyond. As many people here work in various industries (in and out of travel), I expected different options on what a business (hotel) should do.

13. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great post, thank you