Should AA Have Paid for Our Hotel?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by rhaynie, Dec 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Our itinerary was AA from ICT/DFW/NRT and then ANA from NRT to HIJ. After everyone had boarded, the flight from Wichita to Dallas was cancelled because a starter on one of the engines would not work. They put us on a United flight to Chicago and then another AA flight to NRT. I informed one of the flight attendants that we needed to get to Hiroshima and she said she would contact an agent on the ground at NRT. Sure enough, when we got off the plane in Tokyo, there was an agent waiting, holding a sign with our name on it. He had booked us on an ANA flight the next morning, but it was out of Haneda. So we would have to take a bus from Narita to Haneda. He gave us passes to pay for the bus for all 3 of us the next day and he booked us into a nearby hotel that the crews use, but he would not pay for the room. He seemed to be saying they could not pay for our hotel because we were using ANA to fly to Hiroshima.

It just seems to me that it was American's fault that we missed our connecting flight and so they should be responsible for paying our hotel bill that night. Please enlighten me.

Roger

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would expect no less. This wasn't a weather event outside the control of AA. I would submit the hotel bill to AA customer service for reimbursement. Keep the explanation as concise, clear and free of emotions as possible. Your post here is a good starting point (unlike many other similar threads I have seen).

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It all depends how you feel about it, we are humans after all!;)

rhaynie likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed AA should pay for your overnight stay, because it was not your fault or as told, an weather event which could not be changed.

rhaynie and cennas like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, we are. So if I, a human, make a mistake in booking my airfare, the airline will gladly help me fix it, but I get to pay a change fee.

6. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AA should have put you up in a hotel. Totally their fault...and should have nothing to do with ANA! A technical problem (within AA's control) caused you to spend the night in (near) Tokyo.

Titans26, rhaynie and hulagrrl210 like this.
  7. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two levels here, moral and legal. Morally, they should have paid for the hotel, since it was their delay that caused the issues. However, if the NRT-HIJ flight was on a separate ticket, they are not required to do anything, as they delivered you to your destination as far as they were concerned. The fact that they worked with ANA to rebook your flight to HIJ was a nice thing for them to do, but they were not required to do even that much.

Titans26 and rhaynie like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was under the assumption that it was one itinerary based on the first line of the OP: "Our itinerary was AA from ICT/DFW/NRT and then ANA from NRT to HIJ." Could certainly be imprecise wording and it was really two PNRs (why AA and ANA vs JAL) and in that case you'd be absolutely right.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. This is the reality when you have a separate ticket on a different airline and different alliance.

In this case, you cannot even argue that it was necessary to use ANA since surely JAL has many flights on this route, perhaps even some AA codeshares, since JAL and AA are both major members in one world.

There is a slight chance that you might have done better if you were a high tier elite such as EXP and/or CK with AA as some carriers will provide special unpublished benefits to keep their high value customers happy.

Were the agents you dealt with in NRT from AA or JAL or contract airport workers who handle many airlines?

10. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    No JAL doesn't fly NRT-HIJ

cennas and rhaynie like this.
  11. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not entirely true, OP is still entitled to compensation for not reaching his/her destination within a certain time period according to the Contract of Carriage. @OP, How late did you get in to Tokyo?

rhaynie likes this.
  12. Thank you, that was the kind of information I was looking for. I did send a message to AA customer service via their website. I just explained the situation and asked them to explain why they felt they did not need to pay for the room. So we will see what happens. Thanks,

Roger Haynie

13. We were originally scheduled to arrive in NRT at 2:05 pm but the flight we ended up on did not arrive until 4:30 PM and at that point in the day, there were no later flights out of Narita to Hiroshima.

14. They were AA people. JAL flies Haneda to Hiroshima.

15. There was a later flight that day from Haneda to Hiroshima, but they did not feel that I could get through customs/immigation at Narita, load luggage onto a shuttle bus, and then ride the bus over to Haneda in time to make the flight.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Were all your segments on the same ticket?

rhaynie likes this.
  17. I chose to fly ANA from NRT to HIJ to avoid the bus ride over to Haneda. This was our first trip to Japan, we had no idea how long it would take to get thru customs and immigration and then the thought of having to load up on a bus for a 1 hour and 15 minute ride to Haneda was just another opportunity for trouble from my point of view. In researching it, I found that the actual duration of that bus ride varies greatly depending on traffic.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  18. No

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In that case AA has no responsibility for the misconnect. They may give you a voucher to apologize for the delay, but they probably won't admit responsibility for the hotel cost. (*) It's the risk one has to accept when booking two "connecting" flights on separate itineraries. In your case you were fortunate that ANA actually put you on a later flight; I don't think they were legally obligated to do that.

(*) imagine the delay had caused you to miss an important business meeting resulting in the loss of a multi-million dollar contract -- would you expect AA to be responsible for the damage caused by the delay? AA would be bankrupt in no time... Oh, wait...

20. It's not something I am upset about. This is a newbie forum and I am just trying to learn.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Your posts didn't leave me with the impression that you were upset. Ultimately you made lemonade out of lemons. Your "Lessons learned" thread and this one show the right attitude when it comes to travel.

rhaynie likes this.
  22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then I'd say you came out WAY ahead on this one. AA didn't even have to work with ANA to fix your NH flight to the next morning or cover the transfer over to HND. I'd be quite happy with the resolution realized.

23. Okay, then help me understand why that is the case. Where are the rules that govern such situations and define AA's responsibility?

24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA was responsible for getting you to NRT. Have a look at their Conditions of Carriage, the contract you agreed to when buying a ticket on AA. In particular, the section about Delays:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/customerService/customerCommitment/conditionsOfCarriage.jsp#Delays

"When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability."

Also:

RESPONSIBILITY FOR SCHEDULES AND OPERATIONS

American will endeavor to carry you and your baggage with reasonable dispatch, but times shown in timetables or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. American may, without notice, substitute alternate carriers or aircraft and, if necessary, may alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket. Schedules are subject to change without notice. American is not responsible for or liable for failure to make connections, or to operate any flight according to schedule, or for a change to the schedule of any flight. Under no circumstances shall American be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages arising from the foregoing.

As far as your contract with AA is concerned, NRT is your final destination (your subsequent flight with ANA is a separate contract you entered in with ANA), and from your report it appears you arrived there on the expected arrival day.

Imagine the airline could be held responsible for any damages/losses as a result of a delay -- as I mentioned in an earlier post, people could then expect airlines to pay millions of dollars for missed business meetings etc. That wouldn't seem like a workable business model.

One way to avoid this issue is to not book connecting flights on separate tickets. I don't know if it would have been possible to get the AA and ANA flights on the same ticket via a travel agent (online or otherwise). Another way is to include sufficient buffer time, but that doesn't always work and we (the travelers) then have to way the risk.

25. Thank you for that response. I appreciate you taking the time to explain it. Now I understand. This was my first time to book using award miles. I actually booked the ANA segment using Continental miles. In the original itinerary we had 2 hrs and 20 minutes between our arrival at NRT via AA and our departure for HIJ via ANA, but like you said, even that doesn't always work.