Should a Lifetime Elite Status Level Be Treated Exactly as Though It Was Earned Annually?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Canarsie, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most — if not all — lifetime elite levels in frequent traveler programs are not the same as the elite levels earned annually.

As an example — assuming that 25,000 elite qualification miles are needed to earn silver elite status in the frequent flier loyalty program of an airline and 50,000 elite qualification miles are needed to earn gold elite status — if one attains silver elite lifetime status, not all of the benefits are realized because if a new year starts, the silver elite status member usually has to earn 50,000 elite qualification miles anyway to achieve gold elite status for that year.

Should 25,000 elite qualification miles automatically be given at the beginning of each year to the silver elite lifetime status member? Why or why not?

Cholula likes this.
  2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not in my view. Lifetime status provides the benefits of that status. It doesn't give an advantage in qualifying for higher statuses. That seems reasonable to me.

Counsellor likes this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe, maybe not. Some of the bigger benefits don't happen until you reach 100k miles. Should we give someone with lifetime gold 50k miles so s/he only has to get another 50k to get a bundle of free upgrade certs? That doesn't sound like a good idea to me, since those are worth quite a bit.

Then again, you have to fly an awful lot to reach any lifetime status tier. So s/he probably has earned enough good will to merit something, right?

I think one solution would be to offer a promo. Say you have lifetime silver. If you reach gold that year, you're also guaranteed gold for a year after that. Say I reach gold in 2011. I would get gold for the rest of 2011, all of 2012, and ALSO all of 2013. That way, as long as you're still flying and making an effort, the airline helps you make that pay off for a little longer. But it is not as easy as just getting 25k EQM every year when you start out.

4. Efrem
    Original Member

Efrem Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm lifetime AA Platinum. I've never noticed any difference in how I'm treated compared to someone who earned it the hard way last year.

I don't see why being lifetime Platinum should make it possible for me to become Executive Platinum with fewer than the 100,000 miles* I'd need otherwise. These are separate issues. As I see it, that means we're treated exactly the same. Both Hard Way Plat and I began 2011 with 0 miles. We both have to hit the same target. The difference is that HWP has to reach 50,000 miles to stay Platinum in 2012, but I don't. Surely that means I'm treated better, not worse?

lin821 likes this.
  5. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well said. One has very little to do with the other.
    My question is how are the addition of rollover miles and credit card EQMs diluting elite status.