Shot down by Agoda

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by kwai, Jan 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll try to keep this brief.

Last month we grabbed a few rooms in a Nepal hotel, simple entry level for myself and a suite for the parents.

Parents were not given the suite at checkin and the manager subsequently claimed both suites were full but would be available for the second, and last, night.

I contacted Agoda to get a refund on the difference because all the manager would do is give a free dinner at the flea pit restaurant (the same one we chose to skip our included breakfast). Agoda apparently called the hotel, took the word of the manager that we both received the rooms paid for, and asked me if there was further 'proof' that we were given another room.

Hmmm, how does one prove this? ;) Sadly the rooms numbers supplied and a pic of a completely empty room save 1 chair didn't merit sufficiency for Agoda.

They did offer a 10% discount on the room in question, which is less than the room difference, and that looks like what we'll need to settle for.

So, this is just a warning: Apparently Agoda can be gamed by hotels since they have no investigative arm.

NB: We've spent a solid chunk of money using Agoda over the past few years on my parents' trips to Asia. Enough to be 'elite' within their system for a few years.

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    CC dispute?

3. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's often better to try to address issues such as this with the travel agent (Agoda) while you're still at the property. At least you would be in a better position to provide the information that Agoda would need to validate the issue. I can imagine that might be difficult from Nepal, however.

I usually take multiple pictures of the room (including the room number), but that's because I'm a travel nerd who likes to document unique elements of my trips. It sounds like that would have saved me in this case, so it's something to consider for next time.

Is there any reason that you're withholding the name of the hotel? If a hotel had pulled this stunt on me, at the very least, I'd make sure that everyone knew about it so that they could factor this into their decision about where to stay.

chrislacey, Kalboz and marcwint55 like this.
  4. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I trust everybody knows Agoda was acquired by Priceline, you might want to complain to both of them :mad:

maybe note your forum post here

Kalboz likes this.
  5. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    In hindsight we should have dealt with it more quickly but it is what it is. And we had pics and room numbers (of the room stayed in as well as the room that should have been given). This didn't sway Agoda at all.

The hotel, which I didn't name for brevity, was Mt Kailash resort... an otherwise well placed and decent establishment. Albeit one that fabricated stories and clearly broke with ethics.

My pique is less with the hotel than with Agoda for failing to actually follow up on this complaint.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thought about it but the sum total involved is something on the order of $30 to $50 and even with Amex Plat being good with these things we decided to shelve it as an option.

Kalboz and iolaire like this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strange- I have used Agoda quite frequently in Southeast Asia and have only received excellent customer service.

For example one time I had a serious issue and I called Agoda Customer Service while I was at the property and they fixed it together with the hotel General Manager within 1 hour.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd do it out of principle.

9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently this hotel manager is a liar and scammer!

Plus, when in Nepal who need to get all tangled up in a hotel room dispute!

estnet and uggboy like this.
  10. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Such as shame; I have had a good opinion of Agoda from past experiences. And a pox on that hotel that would tell a bold-face lie such as that. The entire issue is very disappointing to hear.

kwai and Kalboz like this.
  11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too bad to hear.

I had only good experiences in Nepal fortunately.

I don't know if this reflects badly on Agoda or on this hotel for not explaining they made a mistake and determining how to fix it.

kwai and Kalboz like this.
  12. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    My previous bookings through Agoda had been without any problems but having read your experience, I would say I was lucky. I would still use Agoda if the service is what I need i.e. no reasonable accomodations available under my preferred programs but I will certainly be more alert and do my due diligence.

Thanks for sharing!

Kalboz likes this.
  13. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    We also have had only good experiences in Nepal... other than this instance of course.

As for this particular hotel they did 'own' up to making a mistake albeit I don't quite buy their excuse. And the fix (a free dinner) wasn't equitable in our mind.... nor did we want to partake in their food service.

Another hotel in Chitwan tried to overcharge us (intentionally or not I don't know) but negated the charges in question when I inquired about them. And based upon our experience there I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt... though I'm equally as sure many other people have paid for those charges needlessly.

As always one needs to be aware of what's going on.

Kalboz likes this.
  14. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    We've used them extensively and I've never encountered a problem. One example of good service was several years ago when Hat Yai flooded days before we were arriving for two nights. The agoda agent put me on hold, did some research and offered a complete refund without penalty. This particular instance though has soured me on the company.

Kalboz likes this.
  15. cocobird

cocobird Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had nothing but trouble with Agoda for a trip to Viet Nam. I booked a room through them according to the site and received an e-mail acknowledging this. After a day of not receiving an actual confirmation, I contacted them, and they then responded that the hotel was now full. Since I was with a group of people who were also booked there, I complained and sent them a copy of their e-mail. I repeated my complaints to Agoda as well as Priceline. Priceline never bothered to acknowledge my contacts. Agoda finally did after I threatened to have my entire group leave the hotel so that we could all stay together. So my personal experience is that Agoda sucks.

Kalboz likes this.