Shorts and sandals acceptable in business class?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by lancexfang, Jul 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lancexfang
    Original Member

lancexfang Silver Member

Status Points:
    I’ve done it before. I used to not even think twice about it.

But after reading the thread about people not like to see people to put their feet up – which I don’t do, I started to think maybe there is dress code, unspoken maybe, for business class at least, that I should pay attention to.

Heck, flying between warm climates, I’d love to dress comfortably. But I guess changing into jeans and loafers won’t be too bad if I am asked to.

jbcarioca, snap and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    what if you were the CEO or some big-wig for companies like North Face, REI, etc...

seems to me like it would be promoting your business by flying like that.

anyway, if you buy the ticket with your money (or upgraded on a tik you paid for), then dress however you like as long as it's not offensive or too revealing. i don't consider shorts and sandals to fall into those categories

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see shorts and sandals in first and business all the time. Doesn't matter to me and I don't hear anyone being asked to change clothing.

Feet up: don't put them on the seatback IFE screen or on the back of the headrest of the seat in front. And most importantly, don't put them on the armrest of the seat in front of you if I'm sitting there. Guy did that to me twice in one trip last week, inching his sock-clad foot further and further forward. First time I turned back and stared. Second time I knocked the foot off the armrest with my elbow and reclined my seat. This was a short flight in domestic first with adequate legroom.

5. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, a lot of people cannot distinguish between 'casual' dress and 'sloppy' dress.

Tank tops on men with very hairy armpits are one of my pet peeves.

6. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shorts and sandals (with clean feet please) are fine. I do have issues with people putting their feet up on the bulkhead wall (is that what it's called lol?) or the seat in front of them. I've even seen people do this in first as well as coach and this display of lack of mannors amazes me. It's not just 'kids' doing it either.

7. lancexfang
    Original Member

lancexfang Silver Member

Status Points:
    let's keep it to the dress code shall we? Not that I mind so much about another wave of exchanges about feet up. I just can't handle that mental image very well...

jbcarioca, snap and JohnDeere19 like this.
  8. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There isn't a dress code, except on kettlicious Southwest. Quit
    obsessing on others' sartorial splendor - better for everyone else,
    and better for you in the long run.

9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The only dress code I enforce at work -- and that I wish applied on planes -- is that a man's toes should not be seen in public.

And really, do you want to go through a TSA checkpoint in bare feet?

jbcarioca, k2o and JohnDeere19 like this.
  10. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm basically, a 'redneck' blue jeans and T shirt, tennies, white socks and a ball cap. But when I fly, regardless of the season, or the class of service I'm in, coach, first class or Premier Plus, it's a Polo shirt, with a collar, Sports jacket, Dark Blue Blue jeans, Black shoes, and of course, my US Navy ship ball cap.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't checked recently and I don't remember specifics, but some international lounges have had dress codes. I don't know how seriously they're enforced.

jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  12. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there's no dress code then I don't think its a problem. I tend to dress a little nicer when traveling intl F or J as I'll just change into my LX F pjs shortly after take off anyway.

jbcarioca and snap like this.
  13. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's wrong with toes showing on a plane? Are the dainty toes of a petite female OK but a guy's hoof isn't?

I usually fly in shorts and sandals. If in C or F I'll wear a linen button shirt or nicer. I think it's more important to be clean and hygienic. After all, you're on a plane, not dining at Per Se.

14. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I put my feet up on the bulkhead wall sometimes... but never my bare feet. I will continue to do so - can be comfy if i'm lounging.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was different in the days when a roast was carved in the aisle, table clothes, china, etc. Sitting in business was to be equated with a fine dining experience. No longer. Anything goes for passengers as well as for the way you are treated by some airline personnel!

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    hoping I see you in your jammies. ;)
    I don't know ...feet on the wall seems so uncouth.

jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  17. Tex1899

Tex1899 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Domestic shorts and sandals are acceptable. On an international flight I'd probably advise against it.

I was once singled out for extra screening and was wearing sandals. I was really tempted to ask the TSA agent how they felt about wanding my bare foot.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would never go "casual" for flying whether Y, C or F. Always a button-down and/or sweater/jacket, slacks, socks and loafers. Just a personal preference.

cvsara, jbcarioca and kwai like this.
  19. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was once also singled out for a customs check and I was wearing sandals. Does that mean one had anything to do with the other?

NB: I've worn sandals for 50+ US arrivals.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been singled out for customs check and have never
    worn sandals on a plane!

kwai, snap and jbcarioca like this.
  21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am mildly offended by seeing shorts and sandals for airline passengers. The cleanliness issues are themselves a concern, but the biggest issue for me is that it seems just too casual. We are not at a beach, after all, but in a cramped metal/plastic tube careening together though the sky. Jeans and sweatshirts don't bother me, that is how I often dress. If I'm long distance on a refined carrier (we all know who they are, I suspect) I wear slacks and a polo short, generally.

Almost nobody who would wear shorts on an airplane would agree with me anyway. I just hope I don't need to sit next to them.

kwai and snap like this.
  22. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm more offended by people, regardless of what is or what is not on their feet, putting their feet up on the bulkhead wall.

I'm okay with shorts and/or sandals. I only have a problem with socks only or bare feet in case of an emergency, people will not be able to get out as fast.

23. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Living in Florida, practically everyone wears shorts and sandals, even in some business settings. While I've not worn that attire in business, I wouldn't have a problem if someone else did.

24. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    I normally wear my Rainbows , a nice pair of shorts and a collared shirt when flying...except for that one time I got an op-up to F. Still, my feet are nice and clean and I don't smell ;)