Short haul drink service?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by greg99, Apr 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. greg99
    Original Member

greg99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I get ready for yet another down and back same-day trip from SFO-LAX this morning, I'm wondering whether I'm actually going to get a full drink service. On a couple of recent trips, the flight attendants have done a pass-through with water and orange juice and then disappeared into the galley.

Sunday night with my family, it happened LAX-SFO, while my outbound flight on Friday afternoon had a full cart service (got to use 10 year old drink chits for a beer).

Did I somehow miss a policy change on these flights making a drink service at the discretion of the purser?

Greg

savydog likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Certainly enough time for drink service on this route. Either there was a catering supply issue or a lazy crew.
    LAX-SFO flights should have a full cart beverage run and a follow-up run with water near flights end.

savydog likes this.
  3. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    The flight could have been particularly bumpy after takeoff or the pilot could have requested that the FAs sit down early before arrival if s/he was expecting turbulence then too. That is probably most likely the factor. You should have gotten a full drink service however.

savydog likes this.
  4. greg99
    Original Member

greg99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope - should have been more clear in my original post. Seat belt sign went off quickly, and pilot was on PA promptly saying that flight would be smooth.

By contrast, this morning I was on a "very full" 757 SFO-LAX (51 minutes) that did a full drink service, with plenty of time for runs through for trash (and refills if people wanted).

Greg

Horse and savydog like this.
  5. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had it happen several times and on LAX-LAS as well, although sometimes on LAX-LAS they announce that due to the short trip there will be no service. I am quite sure the answer is lazy crew.

savydog likes this.
  6. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen instances in First where the Purser was lazy and didn't have "time" to bring around the snack basket, or offer refills but had plenty of "time" to chat it up with the other flight attendants.

Fill out the UALSurvey.com and provide feedback. They have a section where they ask "What did you expect" and "What did you receive" specifically for food/beverages.

savydog and jw3711 like this.
  7. Rlpro
    Original Member

Rlpro Silver Member

Status Points:
    This morning had a great crew in F SFO-LAX. Pre departure bevs, drinks and snack basket passed twice. Two very good FA accomplished alot on this short hop!

sunseeker likes this.
  8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's iffy. I've had great service on short haul flights in and out of LAX (except on SEA-LAX, which I refuse to fly). I've even had great service on ORD-MSP. But there are other times where the long haul is what suffers. I heard all these great things about the new cookies, and when I get an upgrade on IAD-SEA, there's no cookies! Sadness. :( Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much.

9. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well SEA-LAX is not mainline service anymore right? So any experiences there you'll have to chalk up to SkyWest.

10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which is why I don't fly it. I didn't mean to imply that I have any opinion on the quality of the service on that particular route, just that I won't fly it because I think it's intolerably long to be stuck in a regional jet. Mainline service in and out of LAX has been splendid.

11. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had drink service on recent flights both SAN-SFO and LAX-SFO. Sounds like a crew or catering issue to me...

sdcarver

12. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm usually in F on this one, but have been in Y when I've changed flights at the last minute, and we've always received full drink service.

Incidentally, we got a drink service in F on STT-SJU the other day (19 minute flight time).

13. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew ORD-GRR on an A320 in F a few weeks ago. It's a 28 minute flight. The FA working the F cabin had time to get everyone their drink and keep everyone's glasses topped off the whole time. Same on the way back.

That's my new benchmark for the "not enough time" argument.