Shopsins in NYC - Essex Street Market

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by diver90, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This place is the stuff legends are made of. At least from a distance. Kenny Shopsin is supposed to be a truly eccentric enfant terrible and Shopsins is supposedly part Soup Nazi, part brilliant diner food, part can't be categorized. Has anyone been there and can you provide any details?

Shopsins Menu

The quirky movie about Shopsins on Netflix

2. I wasn't all that impressed by the soup I had the one time I got takeout from there, but I suppose I need to eat there and try one of their classic dishes in order to pass any judgment. I shop in the market sometimes, including Saxelby Cheesemongers next to Shopsins, and the waits for brunch look pretty bad on Saturdays, but not so bad on Sundays (the market only started opening on Sundays sometime this fall).

3. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always wanted to eat at Shopsin's.

SC Flier likes this.
  5. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't even recall the meal I had at Shopsin's, it was that underwhelming.

The visit to the ESM wasn't a total loss, as I did treat myself to a bag of Roni-Sue's most excellent buttercrunch:)

6. I was very disappointed the last time I was at the market to see that Jeffrey's had closed, although I heard from Anne Saxelby that he might be reopening in a smaller space. My other minor obsession there is the bread place in the back--can't remember the name, but very good olive bread, among other things. And I think they're using Stumptown espresso.

7. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh... I haven't been in a while & didn't know about Jeffrey's closing. I wouldn't be surprised if pops up somewhere else. I'm pretty sure I know the place in the back tho have never ventured in.

iirc, the city or other interested parties are looking to close the ESM. Then again, there's also an effort to save the market. Not sure who's winning.

8. The bread is these guys (mm, getting hungry just looking at the picture of the olive bread).
    http://www.paindavignon-nyc.com/

That would suck if they shut it down; what, are they hoping to build another condo building as ugly as Blue? Will have to go in this weekend and get the gossip from Anne.