Shopping Portal Reminder?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by UltranerdX, Sep 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. UltranerdX

UltranerdX Active Member

Status Points:
    It happened again today--I was thinking about a purchase I made on Amazon.com last night and then, "Oh crap! I forgot to go through the Dividend Miles shopping portal!" So many miles lost this way :-/ Do you guys know of any browser add-ons/plug-ins/extensions/etc. that will remind you to check for portals before you make a purchase? I looked on ev'reward and it doesn't seem to have one.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know of any add-on/extension that allows one to check for every mileage mall but know some of the shopping extensions that award points for searches on a specific airline will let you know when a site participates with that mall. The AA Shopping bar is an example of this feature, although the results for normal searches and browsing leave a bit to be desired.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are aware of Grand Slam 2011. Yes?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. UltranerdX

UltranerdX Active Member

Status Points:
    Yep! Not going to miss out on that one!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. UltranerdX

UltranerdX Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm not so much concerned about what earning opportunities are out there--I have those pretty much memorized for the places I regularly shop. I just need something to REMIND ME to think about the earning opportunities and actually go to the portals before I click "purchase now." The AA bar sounds like it'd be a good example of what I'm looking for (although I don't care too much about AA miles, but it would probably suffice for the reminder). Maybe I should just make my computer desktop background an image of a big sign that says "DON'T FORGET TO USE SHOPPING PORTALS!!" :p

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use the AA bar - primarily for the modest incremental increase in miles from searches - but it does not stop me from opening another web browser if it brings to mind another portal where the same purchase can be more advantageous. For instance, an alert that AA gives me 8 miles / $ for GroupOn reminds me DL is currently offering 10 miles / $ for the same purchase if I open a different browser.

On the US search bar, I think GS11 is a reason to hold off until tomorrow before downloading ;)

8. UltranerdX

UltranerdX Active Member

Status Points:
    Good points all around ;) Been planning on putting the US toolbar on my less frequently used computer to get the hit!

9. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's just a reminder that AA miles are worth more than DL miles. :p

viguera likes this.
  10. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    UltranerdX - You hit this one right smack on the mark! I can't even begin to think about how many times my wife or I have purchased products online only to realize after hitting the send button that we were not on one of the shopping mall websites! Oh the thousands, tens of thousands of miles lost...

11. DrG
    Original Member

DrG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use the ev'reward bookmarklet - http://evreward.com/about/bookmarklet

I keep the button on my firefox toolbar and am in the habit of clicking it before purchasing anything online. It takes you to the ev'reward page for what you are currently viewing and allows you to compare to find the best portal option.

SC Flier likes this.
  12. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like this a lot, but it seems to overlook some things. A couple examples...
    1. It won't find anything for amazon, but it works if I manually search for amazon.com.
    2. It finds US Airways for Comfort Suites, but not for Choice Hotels.

I also use www.cashbacktool.com but find that it doesn't seem as up-to-date as it used to be. It's also strictly about cash back options -- not for earning airline miles.

http://cashbackautomator.com has a semi-automatic tool that is much like what you're seeking, but it is strictly for cashback options with bigcrumbs.com. And I don't think that it works with the latest version of Firefox. I'm not sure if the tool is even maintained at all anymore.

13. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are an Amex guy and want to earn additional MR points, get inSite from Amex. It sits as an extension in Chrome and Firefox and will popup offers when you navigate to an eligible site. Then click the "get offer" button and you're in - no need to go to the shopping portal first.

https://home.amexinsite.com/insite_rewards_and_benefits.htm

14. Stealth Traveler
    Original Member

Stealth Traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you guys use one in particular, like a bigcrumbs, ebates.com, mypoints, etc, or spread the wealth through the best mileage/point or cash back reward at the time? I find myself always going back through mypoints, mostly for the Hyatt gift cards, but always looking at other options.

15. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    The idea of a single extension, covering multiple mileage malls would be awesome. I cant stand having 2 or 3 toolbars open, but if it was just some extension that popped up a reminder anytime I was looking to make a purchase... I'd install in a heartbeat.