Shopping Habbits?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TrueBlueFlyer, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you ever buy something just because it has been discounted by a certain % or $OFF?

I always seem to fall for marketing ploys like that, sometimes buying something more expensive just because its been discounted by some $#% OFF original price.

2. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    I try to avoid being tempted that way, saving money on something you didn't really want isn't really saving money. Think it happens to the best of us regardless, and that's why retailers and advertisers do it. I try to stay off Groupon :).

However, when I'm shopping for things I want/need, I try really hard not to be swayed by discounts, focusing on the best "value" (quality to price), but it's tough!

2soonold likes this.
  3. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    my folks asked me to buy an air filter for the new house... its an odd size 16x30x1, none of the stores carry it, Lowes cheapest option is $8+ shipping, not available for store delivery. Home Depot offers a higher performance model for $18+ shipping. Nobody in the household has allergies so heavy duty stuff not required. Meanwhile Lowes has a 10% discount on a more heavy duty model than Home Depot for $18+

guess which I'm leaning towards buying? yup... and I don't know why?

4. Flyer_Esq
    Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've caught myself doing that a few times (buying things I don't necessarily need, but will use), but I've gotten a lot better about it. You have to remember it's not a good deal unless you can use it, and some things are so marked up that even with 80% off, it still is overpriced.

My marketing professor in college had a chart of what the average mark-up on certain types of items was - grocery items were like less than 5%, clothing items were like over 100%, etc. She would never buy clothes until they were at least 50% - 75% off...

5. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bought this cool drill bit accesory that lets you get at a screw around a corner or in a tight spot. Saw it at the checkout for half price. Still in the package years later. I get real tempted with some of the groupon and dealfind ads, especially for restaurants. My wife bought 3 hours of housecleaning on there about 4 months ago. It expires in April I think LOL.

6. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I try to live frugally on a budget ... that goes for travel, too. My participation in ff programs allows me to experience things that I could afford, but would never allow myself to indulge in.[​IMG]