Shocking Airplane Behavior!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by CharlesG, Apr 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the over-the-top forum title, but I was really shocked by this... on the last two overnight flights I took, I noticed at least three people waiting in line to use the lavatories... with no shoes on! I mean, not only was I shocked, but I was grossed out! I don't even walk around the plane in my stocking feet, never mind barefoot... but the lavatories? Mid-flight?

Are my sensitivities too delicate? Does anyone here do this? I'm still recovering from the memory!

xristopher, cliq, wrxmom and 8 others like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    What, no toenail clipping?:eek:

avflyer, perryplatypus and CharlesG like this.
  3. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would've been the topper-- I think I might have fainted!

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL! Give it time. We have toenail clipping, nail painting, feet on the bulk head and my personal favorite, dirty socks on the folding tray! :(

TAHKUCT, hpc, avflyer and 1 other person like this.
  5. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have seen the feet on the bulkhead (gross!) and the socks on the tray (beyond the pale!), not to mention any of hundreds of little gross things done by little kids (but at least they have an excuse-- they're kids. Their parents? No excuse at all for not paying attention to them, but that's another thread!). I always wipe down my seating area whenever I get on a plane-- and that includes the tray table and magazine pouch. I don't care how crazy that makes me look!

mikesteg, cliq, Blue Skye and 3 others like this.
  6. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a lesson to be learnt here. Don't lick your feet after going to the lavatory without any socks on.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The next time you see this, break a wine glass in the area. That will make most people put their shoes back on fast. Seriously, don't these people ever worry about broken glass from flights past? That risks injury instead of just grossing out other people.

CharlesG, Aktchi, avflyer and 2 others like this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The airplane has long since been converted into the public's living room. People do all sorts of things in their seats that would be better left at home.

My most recent sighting? The man across the aisle from me in F on a flight to LAX decided that he was going to PLUCK HIS NOSE HAIRS BY HAND in the middle of the flight. I was so shocked I did that thing where you look at other people to confirm that something crazy is happening.

savingrace, TAHKUCT, cliq and 4 others like this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was a rather sizable thread not long ago about the behavior of people with regards to shoes in the airplane. You'd be surprised what some people have seen, and what some people (even here) find acceptable/unacceptable. :)

CharlesG, avflyer and perryplatypus like this.
  10. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    No worse than a lot of places people wear flip-flops nowadays. I've seen some of the nastiest, blackest feet ever when I've been on a college campus. The grime and dirt must be built up from years of flip-flop wearing and I'm certain the stain is permanent.

CharlesG, avflyer and perryplatypus like this.
  11. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    really???:rolleyes:

12. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's truly amazing what people will do and wear in public. I always get a kick out of watching people at the airport and on the planes.

13. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't remember who said it , but the line was that we are degenerating so far, that people will soon be weraing nothing but diapers on airplanes and in public. I personally think flip flops should be banned. I'm no GQ model when I get on plane, mind you, but the ridiculous outfits I have seen, especially on men are just disgusting.

Remember when people wore suits to fly and to baseball games?

TAHKUCT and CharlesG like this.
  14. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The feet on the bulkhead thing is really bad. I saw one guy do it prior to take off and UA brought on supervisors to get the guy to stop or get off the plane.

CharlesG and LETTERBOY like this.
  15. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly, somewhere along the line I must have become the easiest going person in the world. It's not that I don't notice what people are wearing or (for the most part) doing, it just doesn't affect my day.

yaychemistry, cliq, CharlesG and 3 others like this.
  16. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    For that matter, don't lick anyone's feet after they have gone to the lavatory. :)

wrxmom, traveler, CharlesG and 2 others like this.
  17. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did they even have socks on?

CharlesG likes this.
  18. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Er, I take off my shoes and place my stocking feet on the floor in front of me. I'm just more comfortable. :oops:

I can't remember the last time I wore stocking feet to the bathroom, but I do like to stand up frequently in my socks. I can't imagine that the aisle carpet is any cleaner than the bathroom floor; they can't mop it.

My clothes are usually all going in the wash when I get home anyway.

CharlesG likes this.
  19. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    This. My feet swell up in flight, so shoes are problematic on long flights. I don't generally take off my shoes unless the flight's at least 3 hours, though.

CharlesG likes this.
  20. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    For those of you with delicate nature - urine is a sterile liquid. The same can't be said about what comes out where the spinal column ends. If avoid the brown stains and don't mind the yellow stains - you are safe ;)

TAHKUCT and CharlesG like this.
  21. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wear my Vibrams everywhere, including the airport/airplanes - and I love being barefoot - but you better believe I don't take them off during flight!

[​IMG]

CharlesG likes this.
  22. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure there are times when it gets shampooed... If there's ever a turnaround time long enough for carpet shampooing to happen. Perhaps someone working in the industry could chime in on this.

I have a pair of those (use them for running), but they're pretty uncomfortable when worn for long periods aren't they?

CharlesG likes this.
  23. MiamiTed
    Original Member

MiamiTed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you ever tried wearing compression socks?

24. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only times I wear a suit are to work, a job interview, or a funeral.

25. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    In most domestic flights short of a transcon, I wouldn't bother. However, I often fly 8-16 hr international flights (US to Europe, Japan, or Inida). In those I would take off my shoes and switch to the flip-flops I keep in the carry-on just for walking around in cabin or visiting lavs.

CharlesG likes this.