Shipping fragile stuff overseas

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by taiwaned, Apr 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do people here ship fragile stuff?

For example: I have wager for a bottle of scotch with a friend in the USA. Since I lost, I want to ship him a bottle from China. How would I do that?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've shipped glassware / bottles of stuff successfully by wrapping it in bubble wrap (the kind with extra large bubbles. 3-4 inches of cushion on each side will guarantee it gets there safely. The big risk is the package being x-rayed and inspected since its technically illegal to ship alcohol to the states. If its x-rayed, the glass will reflect a very dark image forcing the opening of the package. If it is discovered it will be confiscated. You also have to walk a fine line on the customs disclosure forms and what you list on the customs ppwk. I suspect the Chinese will be very strict on shipping policies. Best advice, send him a bottle of Johnny Walker Red. This way if it gets "lost" you're only out a few dollars! :D

Save the good stuff for yourself!!!

jbcarioca and taiwaned like this.
  3. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just as I suspected. So it is illegal to ship booze by mail to the USA. I have found that they open just about every package I have ever sent to the USA and Canada. Would love to send him a bottle of Red but I am supposed to send him a bottle of Qing Jiu which costa 100 bucks USD.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK you need a special license to import alcohol, and since it's USA rules probably vary from state to state as well? What if you check with a private carrier like FedEX?
    http://www.fedex.com/ancillary/go/service?link=4&pt=cl&lc=en_US&wcc=US&dc=us
    looks like you'd be paying a fee in the $70 range for special alcohol clearance..

Have you checked if there's a store in the US that has this particular brand so you could buy it there and have them ship it to him within the US? If that's an option it would probably be the cheapest and easiest..

Or you could build one of these ;):
    [​IMG]

5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:

I agree, the catapult will be your best bet.

jbcarioca and taiwaned like this.
  6. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe he will just have to wait until I get back to the States in a few months. Thanks for all your input.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:

Glad you didnt make an expensive mistake!!

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or you may try the Community Center and see if someone happens to fly China-US and would volunteer to be the "carrier" for you?

I've seen similar successful arrangements for other small items in CommunityBuzz on TOBB. ;)

Horse, taiwaned and jbcarioca like this.