Sheraton Vistana Resort(s) in Orlando - booking issues

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Gaucho, May 23, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    So Im putting together a family trip to Orlando in July... my original plan was to stay for 14 nights at the Sheraton Vistana Villages (SVV) - on International Drive. Unfortunately, by the time I got our airline tickets issued the availability situation at the SVV changed and Im now left with no available 2 (two) bedroom Villas for the first 3 (three) nights of our stay.

While I try to sort something out, Ive booked the nights of 7/17 to 7/28 at the SVV, and have a "contingency" reservation at a flexible rate (that allows for no cost cancellations until 7/11) at the "sister" property Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas for my missing first 3 nights (7/14 to 7/17).

The idea of having to move a party of 7 (seven) including two Teenagers and two kids in the middle of our trip is daunting (to say the least), so Im hoping to get some advice/tips from the resident SPG experts on what you think I can do to try to somehow get the extra nights I need.

Despite my lifetime 255 nights with SPG, I sadly have no current elite status with the program.... not sure if this plays a role her or not. Ive also tried calling the property directly but they tell me that they cannot do anything for me since my stay hasn't started and I need to deal with reservations directly. Needless to say, I called reservations and explained my situation, all they suggest is that I regularly check back online and "hope" that a 2 bedroom Villa becomes available from now until the first days of July.

If anybody has any ideas/suggestions, I would love to hear your thoughts...

Thanks in advance,
    Alex / Gaucho100K

2. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    One additional issue.... when I made the booking for the first three nights at the Vistana Resort Villas, the system modified my reservation to show only 1 (one) adult, despite the fact that I informed of the total guest count. This is strange as my other reservation at the Vistana Villages for a similar 2 (two) bedroom Villa did "stick" with my headcount information of 3 adults and 4 children. Not sure this is relevant, as I do have a 2 bedroom reserved that does sleep the amount of folks I plan to have in the room.... do I need to worry about this..?

Thanks again,
    Alex / Gaucho100K

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not much advice I can give on your first problem July is one of the busiest for family oriented accommodations at Disney so the suggestions provided so far of continuously checking seems best.
    If the required dates were at the end of the planned stay (as opposed to the beginning) I would be a bit more optimistic you might achieve you goal. I would however keep at the property itself because . that's were you are likely to have success.
    Staying the first three days at another hotel is not the end of the world just have all concerned pack what they need for only those three days in separate suitcases so you only have those to unpack at the first stop.
    As far as the room showing only one occupant. If you call SPG and they have confirmed (perhaps have the CSR send you an email which shows such) you booked a specific room I wouldn't worry about it. This sort of (strange) stuff is not uncommon with their booking system for example in Europe many of the rooms booked revert to smoking rooms showing up on-line even when one books non-smoking.

Gaucho likes this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for taking time to respond. Just to make sure I understand, you say "keep at the property itself" are you saying I should call/check with the property directly from time to time and see if they have something available...? FWIW, I did get the SPG reservations department to put me on the "waitlist" for a 2 bedroom Villa and apparently if something becomes available they are supposed to contact me... although Im not holding my breath for this to actually happen.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always found that in instances like this working with the property itself is more successful than going through SPG. Certainly it wont hurt to have the reservations department putting you on the waitlist but I cant tell you the number of times I have gotten the hotel itself to accomplish things that the loyalty program personnel have been unable ( or unwilling) to do.

Staying at the property for the succeeding 11 days will help a lot. Attempt to speak directly to their reservation manger .. a little personal interaction often goes a long way..

Gaucho likes this.
  6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well... Im checking back to the Starwood website at least 4 to 5 times per day to see if 2 two bedroom Villa opens up... so far, no luck.

Ive tried calling the property directly, but they tell me that they do not have a local/resident reservations manager. Is this perhaps because they are a Resort property....???

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's pretty strange, perhaps they have a manger overseeing say all or a number of the Disney local hotels in the area maybe he is just not based there??? But there MUST be someone in charge overall of all bookings.

Time to use a bit of subterfuge ... call the hotel and tell them you are planning an event or looking to book a large group so you need to speak to someone who you can help in negotiating a better rate.
    and that is the person who most likely will be able help you.

Gaucho likes this.
  8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    They said that they only deal with walk-ins or with guests that are already checked in, all other reservation issues need to be done with SPG directly.......

(sigh)

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seem to be hitting a brick wall:) If you cannot get what you need by the time you arrive in Orlando I guess all you can do is stop there before you check-in at the other place you have booked..
    Of course by then you will be past the cancellation date for that property so you will need really need to plead your case.

Perhaps if the manager is a wine drinker a nice Malbec might help:)

Gaucho likes this.
  10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes.... I have until 7/11 to cancel my back-up reservation at the Vistana "sister" property..... I really really wanted to avoid moving in the middle of this stay. I guess I will have to keep trying (and praying) for a miracle....???

11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Success !!! Im happy to report that after various days of following up with the property directly, this afternoon I was able to get the additional nights I needed to ensure there will be no need for us to move/switch properties during our stay. I want to thank all that posted here with great tips & advice.

The Agent that assisted me modified my reservation and send me a confirmation email with the corrected dates, etc. The reservation is now also updated on the SPG website and reflects the extended stay, etc. My only issue is that Im now not able to see the complete rate details and taxes, etc. - and the email I received does not have this detailed information. Do I need to wait some time for the SPG website to update this information...? I want to make sure I was offered the same rate as I had for the "original" 11 nights - the reservations agent at the property that modified my stay confirmed that the same rate had been honored - but as a matter of proper "housekeeping" I would want to have a printed confirmation of my all-in cost for this stay for when I check-in.

If anybody has experience with property direct modified rates and what this does to the reservation information online, please let me know.

Thanks again,
    Alex / Gaucho

newbluesea likes this.
  12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I definitely have experiences in the past where a property modified a reservation and things looked different online than I was promised. But, I would still contact the property again and politely state your concern.

Gaucho likes this.
  13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    The SPG 0800 number tells me the rate was honored..... I guess I will be calling the property again tomorrow to check.

Thanks for the advice.

Pizzaman likes this.