Sheraton Suites Houston Galleria

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by jkchan83, Jul 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven’t seen a review of this hotel on MilePoint, so I thought I would contribute. With a very reasonable weekend rate, it might be a good mattress run hotel for SPG people around Houston, especially if you have an AAA membership.

The wife and I decided to have a July 4th Staycation this year as the holiday fell on a Wednesday. We stayed at the Sheraton Suites in Houston near the Galleria. I was able to use our AAA membership to get the discounted rate of $95.20, which included free overnight valet parking (otherwise, $22/night or self-parking at $14/night). This was the FIRST time I have ever been “carded” for the AAA rate. Fortunately, I had the card in my wallet as the keychain tag was with the valet. Check-in was handled quickly and the front desk actually double checked that I had parked with the valet as it was included in the rate.

At check-in we were upgraded to a deluxe suite with King bed and Pull-Out Sofa on the 15th floor. As it was Houston, exiting the elevator on the 15th floor (1 of 2 Starwood Preferred Guest floors) was like walking into a sauna. The A/C was trying to keep the hallway and elevator lobby cool, but was failing. Fortunately, our room air conditioning was working well.

IMG_0011.JPG

The room itself was very nice. We had a view of the Galleria (and the restaurant where we ate dinner: Grand Lux Café). There was a set of double-sliding doors to separate the bedroom from the living room. The living room consisted of a sofa, reading chair, desk and task chair, and a wet bar. The bedroom had the bed and 2 end tables. Each room had a flat-screen TV.

IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0016.JPG

The bathroom was shared between both and carpeted. It might just be me, but IMHO bathrooms should always have hard flooring. There was a separate room for the shower and toilet (which was tiled). The water pressure was quite good, especially on the top floor, but the highlight was the water temperature. We both took showers on Wednesday morning and enjoyed the constant flow of hot water.

IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0024.JPG

After coming back from dinner, we found chocolate chip cookies set out in the elevator lobby on our floor. We didn’t stop at any other floors to see if they also had cookies. We also went down to the bar/lounge after dinner. Coming back up, I snagged another cookie. They cookies were gone by morning.

IMG_0027.JPG

The bar/lounge was a bit of a disappointment. While it had a decent selection of booze, the environment was off-putting. The furniture was old and showed wear. The floors were covered in peanuts and confetti (from something before we got there). When we placed our drinks on the “coffee table” by the sofas, the table shook as if it were going to come apart. Lastly, the bar is right next to the pool. As it was still quite warm out, we were serenaded by yelling children running in and out of the pool area, dripping wet. All in all, not the best after-dinner-relax-with-a-drink experience.

I signed up for the SPG eFolio service. My folio arrived in my e-mail on Wednesday morning. I immediately noticed that we had been charged for the valet service. Coming back from Panera Bread (breakfast around the corner from the hotel), we stopped at the front desk. They took care of it immediately.

Overall, I was quite pleased with my first stay at the Sheraton Suites. The staff were very friendly and attentive. In particular, I would like to recognize Daniel at the Front Desk. He both checked us in, as well as handled the issue with the valet parking charge. He was very professional and took good care of us. Given its location, quality, and the AAA room rate with free parking, I think that it is a great choice for staying in the Galleria area of Houston.

2. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the great review. I go down to Houston quite a bit for business and have never stayed at this property.

3. dAAlasFF

dAAlasFF Active Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed there when I go to Houston. Great review, good hotel and nice location.

4. ckwill
    Original Member

ckwill Silver Member

Status Points:
    Planning a one night stay in Houston later this year and trying to figure out the best Starwood property in the Galleria area. Several years ago, I traveled to Houston a couple times a year and stayed in many of the Galleria-area hotels, though I can't remember if I ever stayed at the Sheraton Suites. I remember that I was never very impressed by the two Westin options there. Anyone have a recent experience at the Sheraton Suites, Westin Oaks, and Westin Galleria that can recommend the best option? I'm traveling for work and my corporate rates are not significantly different between the three. Thanks!

5. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Westin Oaks is quite old and is now part of the Galleria. (The Galleria kind of swallowed the hotel.)
    I haven't stayed in the Westin Galleria yet. Both are actually attached to the Galleria shopping center, if memory serves correctly. I generally like Westin properties, so I might need to stay there for my next mattress run.
    The Sheraton Suites is about 2 blocks away from the shopping center on the Loop 610 frontage road. It can be kind of tricky to get in and out of. However, I do not hesitate to recommend it.
    In other words, I can't be sure that the Sheraton Suites is the best option, but I don't think that you would be disappointed if you chose to stay there.