Sheraton Skyline Hotel at Heathrow

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by canucklehead, Apr 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Location: On Bath Rd, just across the street from the North runway.

Transport: Easily accessible by Hotel Hoppa (bus H3 - ₤4 pounds one way, ₤7pounds return), or by public bus (105/111/140/285) from the Central Bus Station. If you request Harlington Corner (it is free within the ring area/Bath rd and this is the last stop of that section), the hotel will be about a 3-5 minute walk back from whence you came. I am not sure if the previous stop is a little closer (but one advantage is not having to cross a road).

Reception: The staff were nice and I arrived at a not-so busy time. I chose the 500 points as my Platinum amenity and they told me that I was upgraded to a suite. I had booked a pre-paid LTO, which was fairly cheap -- ₤55. I thought to ask if there were any suites available - this hotel has only 2 junior suites - and was told that it was unlikely, but she would check. Lo and behold, there was one available, but she needed the manager to assist her in accessing it. After a couple of minutes, she was it done. I had never seen one of the card holders before, but she placed the key holder within another grey/platinum coloured card, which said "Upgraded".....

You need to use your card for entry if you are on floors 1-4.

The room: The room was nice enough. The traditional bathroom after the door with the Sheraton Mandarin and Mint toiletries. A shaving kit, hand scrubby-thingy and other amenities were also in the bathroom, similar to what I have had in club and suites at Sheraton. In the closet was a bathrobe and pair of slippers. Two bottles of water were also offered in the room.

Inside the room, there was a seating area with a coffee table, sofa and chair. The large flat panel tv was placed atop the dresser. While I like the welcome screen, I do wonder how much electricity is consumed by all these tvs left on for the next incoming guest.

The internet speed was average -- I decided to use the wired connection, and even that was ok. Like some of the other nicer hotels, I did like the presence of the 110V plug on the desk, which was located beside the king-sized bed.

While I did not notice until the next day, there was an adjoining kitchenette beside the bed. I assumed it was an adjoining room, as there were three doors I did not touch -- two of them were locked, so I figured it was another room. BTW, the noise level does filter form one room to another. I could hear the neighbours chatting til 3 in the morning. Sadly, by the time they finished, I was about to get up for my flight.

Food and Beverage: Card key access to the Club Lounge (4th flr) food was average, but very crowded. To the right is bar seating (and food/bevvies) with the more comfortable seating to your left. They served lamb balls and mini-quiches, along with crisps, nachos and various sauces/salsa. The minibar had various beers including Heineken and Budweiser, as well as soft drinks. On the table were 3 or four bottles of wine. During the evening 6-8p.m., alcohol was complimentary, but there was a note that at off-times, there was a charge. I was surprised not to see any juices. An espresso machine was located on another table, to the right of the main food and beverage area. Fruit bowls with apples and oranges were arranged in the bar seating area nearest the window.

I did not use the lounge for breakfast, but I asked if I could grab something and the Lounge attendant said I could take whatever food I wanted, but she did not have cans of juice. That was nice, as the normal policy is no removing food/drinks from the lounge (I know people do take stuff, but I always ask before I do so). I grabbed some fruit which is enough to get me going for the day.

As I said, the hotel is located on Bath, across the street from the North runway (well perhaps more apt, some of the hangars). It was nice to see the planes so close from the window.

As you exit the louge, to your left, about elbow-shoulder high is a green button you need to press to exit.

Other amenities: I did not use the fitness centre this time, but it has an assortment of cardio and weights. Enough to do a basic workout. Access is via card key. If you are exiting the elevators, it is a right and another right down the hallway away from the reception desk.

An indoor pool is also open until 10pm. Its not a lap pool, more like a lounge-style with seating, bar....

Like other Sheratons, they have the Link computers to web surf, check-in online....

Checkout: Speedy. I decided to catch the hotel hoppa to the terminal as I could not remember if the buses ran so early, and there is a convenient kiosk to buy a ticket. You can also pay the driver, but as I had a few minutes to spare, I thought I would save everyone some time (of course, the family of four who were also waiting, wanted to pay the driver - an took about 5 minutes sorting out their payment in various bills and coins, but I digress).

Conclusion: Overall, it was inexpensive and convenient for an early flight. The price (for London) is pretty good. I do know people who use it as a base for sightseeing London, but that would not be my ideal location given the need to get into the city (which prob amounts to 1-2hr in extra travel time round-trip.)

Other notes: I have stayed here a few times (though this is the first in the last year or so) and recall they often have receptions in the hotel. This means that on some weekends, it can get loud and the foot traffic can be extreme. I recall one time heading to the fitness centre and walking through the lobby area in gym-wear, whilst everyone else was in a semi-formal/wedding attire.

As I was leaving, one fellow was begging a girl to give him a second chance. Her response was classic shutdown! :D but he tried to redeem himself to his friends by shouting 'she couldn't handle me' after she had already left the building!:p

SC Flier likes this.
  2. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice report. I rather enjoyed my stay there, but the lounge food was distinctly underwhelming.

3. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    IIRC the food at the bar was acceptable when I spent a night here.

4. jammanxc
    Original Member

jammanxc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Skyline this past monday and the lounge was PACKED ..... At 55 gbp/night, what can you expect..... i much prefer the 40 gbp/night sheraton heathrow :) It has a better variety of food at drinks during the evenings and mornings :)

Skye1 likes this.
  5. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...and I've NEVER seen the Sheraton Heathrow's lounge crowded, at all, having used it through a variety of days/mornings/evenings. Yet have been in Skyeline's plenty of times when, as jammanxc points out, it's standing-room-only.

6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I went, the lounge was packed, which given its size is approx 20 people. I did, however, manage to find a spot in the corner. I would not have been averse to sharing a table or seating area, which I am sure would accommodate more people. The mini-quiche was ok (better with salsa), but the lamb meatballs were a bit too hard and bouncy for my liking (literally a couple of bounces as it hopped off my plate!)