Sheraton Sapporo (Japan) - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Simon, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This 4 star property is on the outskirts of town not in the heart of Sapporo but rather a 5 min train ride away ($5 US o/w) to Sapporo. The location is somewhat of a disadvantage but made up for by their cheap prices. The amenities and turn down service reflect the price thus minimal as staying here is so dirt cheap. I would say 50% of the staff speak English and are most helpful if you speak Japanese as apposed to English.

The treatment for a Platinum is amazing and often they will not actually tell you the benefits you get so you kind of have to work them out for yourself. You get Jnr Suite upgrades a lot but please understand they only have 5 King (two queens put together = huge bed) Jnr Suites and 14 or so Twin Jnr Suites so if you really want a double bed, it may be sold out as there are not many around as Japanese couples do not like sleeping together. They only have two Speciality Suites called the Ambassador Suite and Tokachi Suite.

You also get access to their health spa on the ground floor. As of this month this is now completely non smoking so you can relax in their spas and get a snack and drinks (not free) in their lounge. Everything you could ever need in there and I always go here every stay.

You also get the cover charge waived for the cocktail bar on the top floor (Stars's bar *correct spelling*). Breakfast is comped too and you can choose from either eating in the first floor buffet which is good so long as you don't arrive at the last minute and on the top floor is Japanese and Chinese restaurants that close earlier than the buffet and are very nice too.

As a Gold I think all I received was an upgrade to a Superior Room on the SPG level so being Platinum at this hotel is a must!

Most of the great deals are on their Japanese website located here http://www.sheraton-sapporo.com/ and if you don't speak Japanese chances are you're going to miss out on the cheap rates and great packages that are only available on their Japanese homepage including a train watching stay plan!

Newscience and Chad like this.
  2. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think 4 star may be a little kind, but agree it is a very pleasant hotel for the price. I stayed there back in November and the rate was about $80 ($US/$A) - unbelievably good value.
    I got an upgrade to a junior suite which was truly junior but with a massive bed. Wasn't to keen on the bathroom, but the service was geniunely friendly.

I wasn't aware of the other platinum options - but enjoyed the included downstairs breakfast. I think I was suppose to have a coupon for breakfast because every morning (three night stay) I was asked for my coupon - when I said I didn't have one it always provoked fervent discussion in Japanese, nothing ever showed on my bill though.

The location is certainly out of the city but it's priced accordingly - also a good location for day trips into the area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Junior Suite)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (The view is expansive)

Simon likes this.
  3. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Chad - they don't give out breakfast coupons unless you booked breakfast with your stay plan as your Platinum key card is enough to get it comped and not appear on your bill. Same with the internet which confused the hell out of me as I have no idea whether I want a private or public IP and what the different is as that didn't seem to be written anywhere but they just remove whatever you choose. I should add I've never had a problem with points etc posting from here.

It's (Jnr suite) a funny small room and I hate the location of the small chair but then again I never know where else to put it as in its current location it just gets in the way I find.

4. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    For those that can be bothered, you could sign up at the moment for the Cosmos Club which replaced the Starwood Privilege membership and in comparison this program doesn't come close to being as good hey it's free join until the end of this month (March) and after that it is a 1,000 yen joining fee and 1,000 yen fee per year. You sign up at the wedding counter on the right of the check in desk.

http://www.sheraton-sapporo.com/information/cosmosclub.html

Benefits include
    1. Getting invited to special events
    2. 5% off food and beverage (restaurants only I believe)
    3. 10% off food and beverage on your birthday month
    4. Free birthday cake
    5. Waiving of party surcharge or something

5. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this the cheapest SPG hotel in Japan? Thinking about doing some mattress runs later in the year... :)

6. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm seeing 6000 yen this month (can't make it, unfortunately)!

7. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yeah it`s very cheap in winter.

sendaiben likes this.
  8. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    sendaiben likes this.
  9. Simon