Sheraton Safari - Orlando, FL

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by flyingdawg, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an upcoming stay at this property in the summer. I have visited the property (to see the rooms and grounds) so I'm aware its not an upsale resort by any natrure, but it should suit my family's needs just fine. I do have a few specific questions if anyone has experience with stays here.

How would you rate the overall service level of the staff?
    What's the quality of the on site restaurant (especially dinner offerings)?
    Is the property's Disney shuttle reliable and frequent enough?

Thx for any feedback you can offer.

2. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at the hotel quite a few times.

The service is good, not fantastic. kind of what you would expect from a hotel of this level in Orlando. i have never eaten at the hotel due to the fact that there are so many other good choices so close by. as to the shuttle much the same, good service.

Is this a paid stay or reward stay?

flyingdawg likes this.
  3. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reward stay. Booked 3 suites for extended family. Will be celebrating my youngest daughter's 5th birthday with the mouse! On the subject of food, have you ever used one of the discount dinner club cards for the Orlando area? Are they worth the investment?

4. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is a fun hotel for the kids, good choice.

I have never used a discount diner club card, there is so much choice in Orlando and so much competition that finding good choices at reasonable prices is not hard at all.

When we go down we usually mix the choice up, it depends on how hot it is and what we feel like. More often than not during the day we will eat at quick service places such as Sweet tomatoes and then for diner go out somewhere more formal.

There are some many places in Orlando that are totally kid friendly. I was even at a Chili's and they had a entertainer for the kids going table to table creating ballon animals,

You'll have a great time. If you have any other questions just ask away..

flyingdawg likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been awhile since I was there, but I think the unique safari theme would be fun for kids, as well as the special wildlife (a few smallish gators behind glass in the lobby and at least one big bird--IIRC, an aging parrot--that hung out either in the lobby or on the path from the lobby to the pool). The pool and big slide are also good for kids.

When I stayed there, the biggest issue was that most of the rooms in the suite building that they used for upgrades has mold and mildew problems and seemed older (tired and worn) compared to some of their other rooms. Indeed, after trying three suites and having an allergy attack upon opening the door, I asked instead for a deluxe room in the building with the lobby and was very happy as the room had a sitting area. These were suites with a small separate bedroom where one of the room was windowless. I suspect that they have since been renovated.

I was there for a small meeting and didn't use the Disney shuttle, but it's good to have a rental car here to get to restaurants and other local attractions such as Gator World, Cape Canaveral, etc. When I was there, the restaurant seemed pretty empty at dinner, but the bar was comfortable and pleasantly lively in a very low-key way, but not crowded. YMMV.

travelingmore and flyingdawg like this.