Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, Australia - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Leumas, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Leumas
    Original Member

Leumas Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed there a couple of times in the past few weeks. The hotel is right in the middle of the CBD, with great shopping one side and Hyde Park, great for a relaxing walk, on the other. Rooms on the high floors on the park view (as opposed to the city side) will get great views of the harbour and even into the Pacific.

To get there via public transport, it's easiest with the train. The station to get off is St James, which is on the Airport Line. If you get off at the right street level exit, it's just a 100m walk. Taxis are also plentiful.

Pros:
    - Nice big rooms, all with separate showers and baths.
    - Large number of suites, but only Standard Suites are available for SPG upgrades.
    - Very good lounge, free food and drinks, excellent view and generally great staff.
    - Free wifi in the lobby, at the business centre and in the lounge. (Lounge wifi can be strong enough to reach rooms even a couple of floors away)
    - Good breakfast spread in the restaurant
    - Rooftop (but covered) swimming pool and gym
    Cons:
    - Upgrades for SPG elites can be patchy and increasingly rare
    - Lounge can be very busy in the evenings (to a stage where there are no seats available)
    - Restaurant at breakfast time can be very busy, particularly during weekends
    - Front desk and bell staff can be very average (cold)

2. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stayed there a little over a year ago, after having tried the 4 Points, the Marriott, and the Hilton. Didn't get to the Westin or the Park Hyatt. Of the ones I stayed in, would be my choice if there wasn't a big price difference between it and the Four Points.

I agree with the above, except that I was given a lovely suite overlooking Hyde Park without saying a word.

3. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had friends stay here. Definitely a great catch using cash+points.

4. ozstamps
    Original Member

ozstamps Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the best lounges for any hotel, anywhere. And free wifi up there too of course. But signal is flakey ,, better down the far end.

5. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ulitmately we are very lucky to have three Starwood properties in Sydney all of which I am happy to, and do, stay at

Each has their plusses and minuses but SotP is my default

Jeff

yankiwi likes this.
  6. I like this property. I've only been there a handful of times, but have always been treated well and seen suites/lounges.
    Location is outstanding.

7. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    This my exactly experience as well.

Cheers,

Flews

8. yankiwi
    Original Member

yankiwi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have also stayed at all three SPG properties in SYD but my favorite is SOTP by far. Have always found staff pleasant and the location can't be beat!

jswong likes this.
  9. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    We stayed there about 6 months ago, as SPG general member. No upgrade. Free wifi in reception. Room was a good size, overlooking the park, beautiful bath. Not high enough floor to see the harbour but plenty above the street. Great for walking everywhere or using public transportation. We were surprised at how easy it was to get around Sydney. From the airport too.

10. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone tried the Westin? I think this property is just as nice as the Sheraton and closer to the harbor. Both though are nice properties!

11. Leumas
    Original Member

Leumas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I've stayed at the Westin Sydney many times. It's a very good hotel, the rooms are nice, the lounge is good (just not as much food as the SOTP). Both are about a block away from each other. But I haven't stayed there within the last month, so I didn't write a review on it.

12. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at all three Sydney *wood properties, several times. They all have their pluses & minuses, which is why so many folks prefer one over the other. It all depends on your needs & preferences. I can easily make a case for any of the three depending on my circumstances at the time.

As for being "closer to the harbor", you are talking about just a few minutes in walking time, so it's really a moot point of tjat's important to you. It also depends on which harbour you mean. If you mean Darling Harbour, the SOTP is actually a few minutes closer, and the 4 Pts is right on it!

Cheers,

13. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point I was actually thinking Circular Quay, you make a good point about the Four Points and Darling Harbor![​IMG]

14. skyhook
    Original Member

skyhook Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lounge is great for weekend afternoon tea as well!

15. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just booked another reward trip to Sydney so I will get to try them both out again, just going to Sydney over Xmas and New Year's.

16. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have stayed at both SOTP and Westin on numerous occasions. However our preference is the Westin. Love the bathrooms and the rooms to me just feel slicker, more modern. We always ask for a room on a high floor overlooking Martin Place. That said I would have no hesitation at staying at the SOTP if they had a better deal than the Westin.

17. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:

I really enjoyed the executive lounge at the Westin on my last stay and also had a room looking out over Martin Place. The staff were so customer focused in both the hotel and lounge. The parking charges though were a bit eye
    popping!

18. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    We never normally have a car when we stay in Sydney as usually we arrive from an international flight so am unaware of the charges.

However, have to agree with you on the excellent staff at the Westin. Last stay we were in town to renew our US visas. We got thru the process really quickly so decided we required a hire car to drive to our next destination rather than wait for our flight. Concierge arranged to have a car delivered to the hotel for our use within an hour. They just took charge of the process and made it so easy for us.

19. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find SotP to be fairly generous with upgrades (I'm SPG Gold). Overall, this property has to be one of the best, if not the best, in-city Sheraton.

20. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Westin (tower rooms) = if you want modern
    Sheraton = if you want a more traditional feel

Both a very good hotels for their respective flags.